20 Gallon Tank Fiddler Crab Set Up- Cloudy Water? No crabs in yet.

PurityNWhiteRoses

Hi, all! I have my fiddler crab set up (no salt in yet), and I have been experiencing cloudy water already. I put a tiny pinch of fish flakes in one day, and I also added in some of my established 30g water. I let it cycle for two days before doing a 50% water change. It was cloudy before then and still is after having clean water and more 30g water added. I'm not sure if my sand was not clean enough before I put it in (washed it 5x for every 25 lbs of sand in a bucket) or if there is another problem. My Nitrates and Nitrites were 0, and my Ammonia was 0.5. I forgot exactly what the PH was, but it was around 6.0-6.5. Could there be something wrong, or am I just worrying about my tank getting up and running?

Thanks for any advice and insight.

awilkinson871

It is likely bacterial due to the used water and the fish flakes degrading and the sand being stirred up. Using water from a cycled tank will not help the tank cycle faster as it contains very little if any beneficial bacteria. You can use items out of another tank as it will have BB growing on it or even better is used filter media that has not dried up yet.

Upvote 0

PurityNWhiteRoses

Thank you so much, Angela. I haven't set up in a tank in years. How do I get rid of the bacteria? I have bacterial medications. Should I give that a try?

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I would not add anything as the cycle needs to be established. Adding anything can throw off the balance. The bacteria is natural and is not the kind that needs to be medicated. I would continue to cycle the tank (using pure ammonia if possible) and the cloudiness should go away in time.

Upvote 0

PurityNWhiteRoses

Thank you! I put some rocks from my other tank in it. Hopefully that helps.

Upvote 0

JustAFishServant

For cloudy water, white = bacterial bloom, green = algae bloom.

I've kept fiddlers before, they're a joy. I had a big male for 2 years (he was already an adult when I got him). I kept him in a 15 gallon by himself. He was happy, at one point was "waiving" his arm, a sign he wanted to mate. Sadly I couldn't find any females in my area so he stayed a bachelor.

My tap has 6.8 pH so I used Instant Ocean Reef Salt. It's cheap, raises pH and adds calcium and other minerals, exactly why I use it for fiddlers & hermits. I haven't kept hermit crabs in awhile yet the salt is still good. You should try it :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PurityNWhiteRoses
  • Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
saltwater60