Fiddler crab question

1. batronie Initiate Member

ok i have a fiddler crab in a brackish water aquarium. shes a cool addition to the tank but i have a question. apparently they need air and need to break the surface. i dont want to do a traditional fiddler setup as the water level drop would be too much for my green spotted puffer, who requires a spacey tank. the guy at the pet store said my issue could be solved by adding this giant fake plant thing, as the fiddler will climb it to breathe at the surface. i was wondering if this is a good idea? or if anyone else has any other suggestions i would like to know. thanks for your help.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the site! I'm not onboard with the advice you got at the store. If it were me, I would have told you it's a matter of time until the puffer eats the crab.

However, this is a very cool way to solve your problem. You need a small fishbowl and a bubbler. Basicly, put the bowl inside the tank (filled with water) so that an edge is burried in the substrate. Put the aerator inside the bowl at the back and build up the substrate on top of it so that the substrate slopes down to the level in the rest of the tank. When you turn on the pump, air will start filling the bowl, forcing out water.

If you've angled everything right, the water and air inside the bowl will reach an equilibrium, with the extra air spilling past the unburried edge of the bowl and up to the top. The water level will fall, creating a gravel beach at the bottom of the tank, inside the bowl. You may need to add something heavy to the bowl to keep it down, or you could just silicone it to the bottom of the tank once you know the angle you need.

The bubbler maintains fresh air inside the bowl.

3. DRock914 Member Member

Make sure you have no openings in your tank because the crabs are great escape artists. I have found them running down the hall before. Maybe an air stone will add the extra oxygen they need? If you add the plant that was suggested, the crab will probably find a way to escape out your filter.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You could get really creative and silicone stuff to the inside of the bowl so that the crab will have stuff to climb on in addition to the beach, that way the whole bowl gets used.

5. Camille Member Member

I found that out the hard way... The first time my crab escaped he was walking around in the hallway in the middle of the night. The second time he escaped he jumped off of my balcony and died.

6. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    First thing, not sure if the puffer will eat the crab eventually. Second, what I do when I have crabs that need to come up for air is and it's dependent on height of tank. I place rock work in the center of the tank that will allow for small piece to rise above the water (exposed to air). This will allow a natural path for crabs to follow as they love to climb rocks and stuff. Once the crabs feel the need to come up for air they will start looking for the highest points in the tank in hopes of reaching air. Hope this works out.

7. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

A piece of driftwood might be a good addition to the aquarium. As long as it's tall enough to leave the water (but not so tall that it won't fit under the hood), it will be exactly what the fiddler needs. It will also provide the fiddler a place to hide during molting (the only time that it's likely in danger from the puffer).

8. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Is this in your 10 gal. tank?
    If so the GSP is eventually going to need a 30 gal. tank to itself.