Fiberglass resin question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2brown347

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently started a 10gallon background (pictures of tank here: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-stocking-questions/70290-10-gallon-project.html#post822200) and I'm thinking I want to coat it with something. Anyway I'm wondering if
1) "Bondo: All Purpose Fiberglass Resin" is aquarium safe? (says 100% waterproof but I don't think that has to do with leaching)
2) Going through the actual fiberglass process (with the cloth) would be killer one the background so would just coating the cement still work for sealing off the cement?
3) If 1 and 2 are no, then what is easy to find and could work?
Thanks.

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi I also have a diy background made of cement but did not use fiberglass resin nor have heard of that being used. The question is what kind of look do you want the natural look of cement or a shinny look of epoxy. Yes you can use a clear epoxy but remember that it will not give a natural look since you using drift wood and the picture that I saw looked pretty good. About the ph it will stable out if you flush the tank enough. I took my tank outside and used the hose and let it run over the edge of the tank for about 1/2 hour that worked for me.

Did you use a concrete sealer?
How many layers did you coat with?
DONT USE THE BONDO it not made for under water conditions alone ( I mean without a coat of paint of something of that nature) It would destroy the work you have put in

OP

2brown347

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for replying Jayham26. I didn't use any sealer and I only put on 2 coats, but the second coat was pretty heavy

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You should look at a sealer and apply a third coat but make it light. That would be your best option since you have already at that the final stage. I used Quikrete® Concrete Acrylic Fortifier that made it water proof or at least not to come apart in the water. Just make sure the final coat has FULL coverage.
Did you check out the web site I told you about?
If you do, look at the rock terrace one it shows what to use.

first coat light
second coat heavy
third coat light

OP

2brown347

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, and I did check out the link. I used the waterproof cement so I don't need the fortifier but I'd still like to find something to seal it with just for extra comfort. I'm thinking something that I could apply with a brush and then put sand on it to prevent the glossy look. I've seen it done on several builds but they never say what they use. If you can think of anything that'd be great.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom