Few Scales Missing

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I noticed one of my baby angels (well, they're not such babies anymore!) has a few scales missing from its body. Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ~5 nitrate, and pH is around 6.9. I perform 50% water changes twice a week. I don't believe the missing scales are due to bad water quality. Could it be that the angel simply hurt itself against something in the tank?

Should I be concerned about this? How very possible is it that the missing scales will lead to some type of infection? Should I take any precautions in advance? Aside from missing scales, the angel looks fine, swims fine, and eats fine.

P.S. I have Copper Safe, Maracyn I, and Maracyn II on hand if anything happens (always like to keep some basic meds just in case anything happens). Also have aquarium salt on hand.

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like there are any problems. It may have rubbed up the wrong way against something in the tank.

I doubt that it will lead to anything, especially with such large water changes. Good luck!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably just a bump against something. Just keep a watch for a few days.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks Marc and Carol. I certainly will keep an eye on my angel, and on all of them anyway. I check them all closely with each feeding for any signs of a disease ever since I noticed the missing scales on one of them. I really hope nothing bad will happen. Hopefully, the large and frequent water changes that I now perform will prevent my angel from getting an infection.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's been two days since I noticed the missing scales. The angel hasn't developed any infections. Should I assume it is safe now? Or do you need more days to know for sure?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom