Few Questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MEng, Apr 18, 2010.

1. MEng

MEngNew MemberMember

1 I've read on here many times about how changing filter media shouldn't be done, instead you should rinse the existing media with aquarium water when doing a WC. After doing this for about 6 months it seems like this cartridge has reached the end of its usefullness. My question is, can I put in a new cartridge if I keep the old one in the tank somewhere for a couple weeks?

2 A couple months ago I introduced live plants to my tank and they seem to be doing fine, but after a couple weeks I noticed along the substrate and the surface of other objects is a short, thin, green fuzzy substance. Any idea what this is? Is it something I should be concerned about??

3 Last week I noticed in a couple spots in the substrate little piles of light/medium brownish "scum" for lack of a better word. I'm not sure what it is or what is causing it. Any ideas?

Thank you for reading

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Your cartridge shouldn't be falling apart yet :( Most people don't have to change them for years... If you absolutely have to change it, I would say run the old and new ones together for at least a month.

I'll let someone else tackle th other questions. Welcome to FL if I haven't said so already.

3. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Hello and Welcome to Fishlore! :;hi2

1. I'm not so sure about this one so wait till more responses arrive. But if I'm not mistaken, yes, you have to leave the old one in first or else your tank will go through a mini cycle.

2. Do you have any pics? Sounds like some sort of algae to me but to be more sure, could you post up some pics? It'll be easier for us and other members to help you identify it.

3. Again, pics of it would be great so it'll be easier for members to identify it and tell you what to do and everything :)

Hope you have a great day and just hang in there, more responses will be on their way soon. Best of luck! :;hf

4. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi!
    I use aqua-tech (walmart brand and the cartridge falls apart pretty quickly.
    Instead, I use an extra filter sponge or filter floss. Every now and then, I'll run put in a catridge with carbon. During this time, I'll tuck the extra sponge behind the filter intake.

The green could be an algea growth. This is sometimes cause by leaving the lights on too much or if you get too much direct sunlight.

Could the brown be left over food? Maybe you need to step up on the gravel vacs.

5. OP
    OP
    MEng

MEngNew MemberMember

heres the scummy buildup at the base of one of the plants

623.jpg

and heres a shot of the fuzz on the surface of a rock

624.jpg

6. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The stuff around the plant looks like excess foos.
    Carol

7. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

The build up on the rock is probably food and dust too. Just vacuum it well.

The green fuzz sounds like algae. There are different kinds of algae, but basically they come about when there's excess nutrients in the water (like when you overfeed or over-fertliize) and you have enough/excess lighting to get the algae growing. Live plants compete for nutrients in the water with the algae (and win), so those will help. But it sounds like your first step might be to cut back on your feedings. There are a couple other options (algae fixers in liquid form and getting algae-eaters in the form of fish or snails) but I'd steer clear of those unless you know exactly what you're getting into. I generally distrust "fix-it" liquids which are often temporary or have side effects for your tank. As for algae-eaters, if you don't know exactly what kind of algae you have and what kind your algae-eater likes, you may wind up with an extra inhabitant who doesn't even take care of your problem. My :;2cents.