Few questions

1. Absynthe Initiate Member

First off, I would like to say hello and introduce myself. My name's Terence, and I'm a 16 year old kid that lives in Baltimore. I first become intrigued in fish when my friend gave me his 7 gallon tank, along with his Angelfish in the beginning of December. As I took care of the fish, I added more life forms. I had added 2 neon tetras and one frog. Then a month later, I added a Betta fish, which I found out was a bad idea. I've been lurking around the forums and gathering information, and learned that my Betta fish killed my Angel due to lack of space. I flushed one of my tetras because it suffered from what looked like a "crooked" spine? My tetra couldn't swim straight and often looked dead, so I decided to flush him as I didn't want him to suffer anymore. 2 months later, a friend of my family gave me a 33g tank, and my mom a 26g tank, gravel, filters, and decorations included, all free of charge. Then I bought 3 Black Mollies as an addition to my lone neon tetra. As more time passes, I added 7 other neon tetras to my tank, along with 3 black neons and 3 algae-eating plecos. Couple of questions, the gender of those black mollies I purchased are 2 females and one male. One of the females has a bulge in the bottom of her chest, and now I'm suspecting that she's pregnant. And just recently, my male molly has been interacting with the other female molly, which is strange because during the 3 months that I had them, the male molly never interacted with her.

Oh, and also, would it be a bad idea to mix the Betta fish (The Murderer) with the black mollies? I don't plan to ever, since I gave the Betta to my brother, but still the answer wouldn't hurt. :)

2. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I am not sure of the combo between bettas and black mollies -- i wouldn't think of it to be too good an idea -- bettas normally prefer to be alone so if you still have the 7 gallon, you could keep him in there,

Also, you said you had 3 plecos -- I am hoping these are not common plecos as they get up to 2 feet long (each) so just one of these would be severe overload for your tank!! If they are, I would suggest finding a new home for these as soon as possible.

As for the mollies, its very possible that your molly is preggy -- and probably the other one soon. They are not very hard to breed, but u would have to prepare for this by having a breeding net and/or an extra tank to get them through their baby stages, so the other fish doesn't eat them.

Anyway -- Welcome to FISHLORE!

ps - I am also from Baltimore, and I have found a great recommendation for a fish store -- you would definately not be disappointed!! The name of it is "EXOTIC AQUATICS" You can look up their website, which is still under construction, but it will give you directions www.exoticaquatics.com :)

Good Luck in your future fishkeeping

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Absynthe, nice to have you on Fish Lore. I am not replying to help you with mollies and bettas since I don't know much about them. I have angelfish and neons however. May I ask how many angels you have (or had)? If you still have any, it's good that you have that 33G tank since 7G is far too small for angels. In fact, at least 30G is needed for angels. As for neons, they are shoaling fish, so they do best when kept in at least a group of 6 (that is, if you still have enough space for them, but if your tank is already fully stocked, do not add any more neons there). Can you list how many fish, what kinds of fish, and in how many gallons of water (in what tanks), you currently have?

Finally, I wanted to tell you that although I understand that you wanted to end the fish's suffering by flushing it, flushing fish is not a humane way to end their lives. This is because when you flush a fish, it doesn't die right away. It stays in chlorinated, cold, and dirty water in the sewers and it dies there slowly and in terrible agony. Flushing causes only more pain and suffering to fish. Please do not do that again. There are other ways to kill suffering fish quickly and much less painfully than flushing. But even before you decide to end a fish's life, make sure that the disease is beyond the ability of being cured - only then it is really OK to kill. But if a fish has hope of recovery - it's very inhumane to kill it. Simply because it looks sick, doesn't mean you have to kill it or that it cannot be cured.

4. Absynthe Initiate Member

Sorry for jumping the gun about the bent-back neon. I was blinded and should've looked the condition up for more information. I currently in my 33g tank:

8 Neon Tetras

3 Black Neons

3 Black Mollies

2 Plecos

1 Frog

I do not believe I have the common plecos. My plecos like to stick to the walls and race up and down them. They also attach themselves to the rocks and decor to eat whatever algae they find.

In my mom's 26g tank, she has:

8 Neon Tetra

2 Bala Sharks

2 other fish (I can't exactly remember, but they have the two long antennas like Angelfish, but have a different body form)

5. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

your mom does know that the bala sharks get 11+ inches

6. Jon Well Known Member Member

ugh why would you flush fish that are alive...

the 2 other fish might be dwarf gouramis because they have long antennas and diff bodies than angels...

tetras and mollies require somewhat opposite wate conditions but it should be fine if you keep the pH around 7-7.5 and the temp in the mid 70's.

your 2 plecos will outgrow your tank. you should have gotten ottos.

7. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Different Homes need to be found for the 3 plecos and 2 bala sharks immediately.. Balas need at least 75 gallons, and 3 plecos should have at least 150 if not more

I suggest that you research the fish that you have (including the one that you dont know what it is. This fish may have totally different needs, and just because you don't know what it is, you can't be fulfilling those needs). Jon may be right, it may be a gourami, please google this and see if this is what you have. There are many types of gouramis, so if it's isn't a dwarf (which looks a lot different than most other types) please research other kinds.

8. Absynthe Initiate Member

I'm still researching for the types of plecos that I have, but I did find out my mom has Pearl Gouramis.

EDIT: Okay, I've found out what they are. Dwarf Suckermouthes, or Otocinclus vittatus. These guys are very little and do not grow that much (4cm max).

9. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks for listing what's in your tanks Absynthe. Not counting the 2 plecos, your 33G is not overcrowded at all. You'll just need to find a new home for the 2 plecos while they're still small. They really do get huge and you'd need something around 125 gallons for them, if not more. In a 33G they won't be even able to move. As for the 26G, it's not overcrowded either, provided that you also find a new home for the bala sharks which get large as well. Ask your local fish store if they would take the plecos and the sharks. Even if they won't pay you for them, you should be willing to give them up before it is too late. Hopefully, while they're at the store, someone who has a tank large enough, will buy them.

10. not4you Member Member

Welcome Absynthe!! Listen to the folks here they won't steer you wrong.

Absynthe and EmpPleco I'm from the Baltimore area too, Sykesville to be exact. I've never been to the store you referenced it's a bit of a drive but I will check it out. Have either of you been to The Aquarium Center ?

11. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Wow -- three baltimorians!! :D :D :D hehehe

Anywho -- not4you -- Exotic Aquatics is definately worth the trip -- Beautiful healthy fish and store owners who genuinely know what their talking about and give u valuable advice. They also have the more desired brands like Marineland, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals,etc.

It's very interesting because you mentioned the Aquarium Center, and I havejust recently looked that up on the computer, and am planning to go there soon (its across the key bridge for me, and I work across the key bridge, so I will have to go on my way home from work one day) but is it nice? Is this your LFS?

12. Marc Well Known Member Member

That place sounds nice - I wish I had a LFS that good! The only pet store near me that I would call decent is too small to have much of a selection on fish supplies... guess once I get my driver's license this summer I'm gonna have to check this 'Exotic Aquatics' place out :)

13. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

don't tell me ur from baltimore, too!

14. Marc Well Known Member Member

Nope, Connecticut. :p

It'd be a 4 and a half hour drive though...

15. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

lol im not too sure I would drive 4 and a half hours to get to this fish store. It's really nice and everything, but you wouldn't be able to buy any fish :( way way way too long of a commute

16. Marc Well Known Member Member

Actually, I could set up a cooler for the trip :)

17. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

true -- if you are willing to take the trip, its def. the fish store to go to ;) I go like every 3 days, just to see if they got in any new interesting fish/supplies (they usually do) ;)

18. vin Well Known Member Member

Hey! I'm from Connecticut..... :D :D

19. Marc Well Known Member Member

Ever heard of 'The Naugutuck River Valley'? :)

Sometimes the rich folk in this area want to have us called 'The All-American River Valley' :p

20. not4you Member Member

Yes I would call The Aquarium Center my LFS. It's definitely the best place I know of and it's so close to home (only about 15 minutes from house). I haven't bought any fish there yet but I plan to in the near future. The only other places I've really been in are the Petcos and Petsmarts in the area. I'll be sure to check out Exotic Aquatics one day soon.