Experience
Just started
Hi all i have just brought this set up and its on day 3 of its cycle
The Vision 180 Aquarium and Cabinet by Juwel is equipped with:
High-Lite light unit including tubes 92cm, 2 x 35 watt
Bio Compact filter including pump set 600 and filter media
Heater 200 Watt

I have 3 malawi cichlids and 5 Neon tetras in my 30 ltr Biorb
Im transferring them as soon as the tank is ready(prob minus the neons)
What I'm trying to find out is
1) What should be the ideal temperature
2) In noob description please what other fish can be housed with malawi cichlids.
3) How many fish can i have in 180ltrs of water..

Thanks all
Douggie

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
YAY! Something I know about. I just set up a 165L Malawi tank.

First we need to know what malawi's you have

Malawi Cichlids have to be kept with other Malawi Cichlids. Some catfish manage with them too, the hardier the better.

Depending on what ones you already have, in that size tank you can probably fit 3 schools of 4-5 fish each. Or just 2 schools of 7ish.

From memory, the beginner malawi are Rusty, Yellow Lab, Pseudotropheus Acei and Pseudotropheus Saulosi. You could quite easily fit 5 of any 3 of those fish in that tank.

Most important thing is to make sure they have proper territory.

Edit:
Useful starter link
Also, you should check out some members malawai tanks. I think it was Nutter that also just started a new one? I have pics of mine, but not many details on my setup. I think Nutter went into more depth.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tank mates for malawi cichlids are other malawi cichlids. As said above, you could fit a decent number of them in there. I would leave the neons in the biorb.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nutter's setup thread. Different lake, but both like the same sort of setup.

And yeah, the neon's would be great in the bio orb. You could stick a nice school of neons in that and it would look awesome.

alienseeker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for the reply i've been to the website and all i know is that they are african Malawi Cichlids i really don't know which type. 1 is bright yello with tinted blue fins, the other is a mustard yellow with brown strips and the last one is white with blue tips on fins. they share the tank with 5 neon tetras and a plec. Now i have brought a bigger tank i wanted to know if i could mix the fish with other types. But not knowing what breed they are I'm a little worried. I was given them by a friend whos cichilds keep breeding.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
alienseeker said:
thanks for the reply i've been to the website and all i know is that they are african Malawi Cichlids i really don't know which type. 1 is bright yello with tinted blue fins, the other is a mustard yellow with brown strips and the last one is white with blue tips on fins. they share the tank with 5 neon tetras and a plec. Now i have brought a bigger tank i wanted to know if i could mix the fish with other types. But not knowing what breed they are I'm a little worried. I was given them by a friend whos cichilds keep breeding.
First, the pleco is too large for the biorb.
Second, If they came from another cichlid set up, there is a high chance they are hybrids and makes them much more difficult to ID. Other than other cichlids from lake malawi, and a select few catfish, there aren't a whole lot of fish that will do well in a tank with malawi cichlids. You could get Electric Yellow Labidochromish, Electric Blue Haps, or any other of a wide variety of cichlids from the lake though.

alienseeker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
here are a list of fish that are in my mates tank, bearing in mind his girlfriend responded to my facebook msg so some of the fish names are funny,
"of course i will , the ones i know are the malawis , lobster , crab , 3 plecs , clown loachs , guramis , terrors , silver sharks , dolphin head ones , and wormy stripy ones ! That's all i know but will ask when he gets in tonight ! I think he keeps it at 27 / 28 but i will check x x x"

alienseeker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeap that's why i have a bigger tank :O)
but the fish shop i brought it from told me it would be fine to have the pleco in a 30ltr biorb and this is why i joined the forums as they don't know much.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads