Few Questions about Aqua Clear Fluval Power Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by happyfins14, Jul 27, 2015.

1. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Hi everybody!!

So some of you may know that I'm planning a 20 gallon aquarium. I decided to have three platies, four male fancy guppies, six julii cory catfish, and three amano shrimp residing inside. I also decided to stock it with anubias, anacharis, Marimo moss balls, water wisteria, java fern, and possibly hornwort.

I was just planning to buy the Aqueon Quiet Flow 20, but when I brought it up several members brought up a better suggestion: the Aqua Clear Fluval Power Filter. I looked it up on Petsmart and it's within my price range. But I do have a few questions about it.

First of all, online at Petsmart it is available in 30, 50, 70, and 110. Some people encouraged me to get the 50. It is only a few dollars more than the 30. They said it is better to over filtrate than under filtrate. I agree, but wouldn't it be enough filtration with the 30? The 50 is meant for a tank over twice the size of my planned aquarium. I just think that that would be way too much current. Anyone disagree?

Also, I obviously want a lid. I have no experience with HOB filters. Is there some sort of lid that could allow for the filter?

I'd appreciate any help and suggestions :)

Bye! :;hi1

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I think I told you in your other thread that your HOB should have 8-10x GPH of the tank size. The 30 only has 150 I think, but the 50 has 200. The current should be tolerable for a 20 gallon if you went with the 50. Plus your platies have big bioloads!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

What Dom said. With HOB filters I aim right around 10x, but more wouldn't hurt.

And for tops. How about a versa top? What brand is your aquarium? You could do something like an Aqueon versa top. It would be a glass top that would leave an opening in the back for a filter.

4. OP
    OP
    h

Great thanks :)

5. LiterallyHydro

Did you buy your aquarium new? What brand was it? I may be able to help you get a good glass top for the tank.

6. OP
    OP
    h

Okey dokey. I'll go with the fifty. The aquarium would be an Aqueon glass aquarium. Here is a link to it:  

And that top sounds good to me :) Thanks for your help

7. Dom90

8. LiterallyHydro

Here you go. If you can order online, this is probably the best option for glass tops for your tank.

If your tank is a 20 long like I think it is, you would want the 30" model.

9. Dom90

Wow that's some awesome prices! Beats Amazon by a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. OP
    OP
    h

I have not bought the tank yet, I will in a couple weeks after I move so I don't have a giant fish tank to move. It will be new. It's an Aqueon Glass Aquarium, here is the link:  

11. OP
    OP
    h

Ikr!!! Now I just need to hurry up and move so I can order it before the sale is over!

12. k

kaitlin4599 Valued Member Member

im using an eclipse penguin filter in my 10gallon tank i like the eclipse filters because they have a bio wheel which allows bacteria to grow on the wheel to sustane the tank

13. S

Srrman New Member Member

I have a 30 and a 50 hanging on a 29 gallon tank. I also have a 50 on a 56 gallon tank with a marineland 360 canister . The aquaclear filters are easy to clean/change media, and very quiet. My canister is giving me trouble and I might replace it with an aquaclear 110.

14. OP
    OP
    h

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice