Few Mystery Snail Photos!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by soarl, Dec 22, 2012.

1. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

Well I got my new snail additions from RogueAgent94 yesterday. Got them all acclimated and settled in. Here's a few photos!

2012-12-22 12.26.36.jpg 2012-12-22 12.26.42.jpg 2012-12-22 12.27.28.jpg 2012-12-22 12.27.45.jpg 2012-12-22 12.27.52.jpg

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Purty :)

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I love it!!! Super cute snail :)

4. OP
    OP
    soarl

Woot! I was worried about two of them but they had all moved around as of this morning. I could only locate 2 of them though. then I found a 3rd after a bit of searching but that 4th was no where to be found. I looked all over...even all over the area outside the tank. I just now finally found all 4 of them and they are all moving about so yay! all 4 made it!

5. OP
    OP
    soarl

Here are a few better ones. This time I managed to get at least one shot of each of them! The first couple you can see one of the pond snails trying to hitch a ride. My daughter is convince there are 2 boys and 2 girls and said the 2 big ones are Gary and the 2 littler ones are Flower. It almost looks like a couple have cracked shells but they seem to get along pretty well. Is that normal looking?

2012-12-22 20.59.52.jpg 2012-12-22 21.00.05.jpg 2012-12-22 21.00.18.jpg 2012-12-22 21.00.30.jpg

6. Eienna

I'm not sure that's a crack. To me, it looks like they just have a growth pattern abnormality. I'm no expert on snails, though. Not even close.

Apparently I'm keeping my pond and ramshorn snails happy, though. Eggs everywhere! I'm happy about that...means more food for Kirby. <3

7. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Purdy!

Those are growth lines. It happens when the pH changes. Basically you get growth lines when you take them from one tank to another unfortunately. But lucky for you they'll disappear as the snail gets bigger! That's why I always buy young snails so the growth lines go away lol.

8. OP
    OP
    soarl

Oh good...I was worried for a bit. At least it helps me tell them apart right now!

I wish I had a better camera to take pics with. My phone doesn't do a great job.

9. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Are snails hard to breed? Anything special to look for or do to initiate the process?

10. RogueAgent94

:;laughing Not hard at all to breed. Here is my log of breeding my snails: Snail Progress Blog.

11. Reefdweller

I took a 5 gallon tank that I already had not being used and set up a little sanctuary aka snail love palace :animal0070: :;laughing just as something fun to try. I picked up 7 mystery snails at petsmart. I want to just see the breeeding process from egg to baby snail. The tank is underneath my 75 in the cabinet so its a perfect little spot for it. I also put a cd player under there with some barry white to enlighten the mood :;laughing Okay I didnt go that far but I couldnt resist and besides if I have it right they actually embreg themselves so each snail does not need a partner.

12. OP
    OP
    soarl

Got a different camera app for my phone and these pics turned out a bit better. You can even see the detail on his breather tubey thingy!

2012-12-23 11.56.27-1.jpg
    2012-12-23 11.56.27-2.jpg
    2012-12-23 11.56.55-1.jpg
    2012-12-23 11.56.55-2.jpg

13. RogueAgent94

A 5g is way to small for these guys. They have large bioloads for inverts and need lots of space to grow. Plus each clutch hatches out as hundreds of babies. A 75g would be a great breeding tank cause then you wouldn't need a grow out.

Actually Mystery Snails do need partners to continue producing fertile eggs.

14. Reefdweller

Ugh... I didnt realize they needed that big of a space... hmm... I do have a 50 gallon bow in my garage that I was thinking on as a project tank so I could always use it. See... again the petsmart dude told me that each snail does not need a partner to have babies. I assumed he knew what he was talking about but didnt really care either way because I purchased 7. Do you think I could use the 5 gallon as a laying egg area and have the 50 gallon as the grow out?

15. Eienna

Maybe the other way around?

16. RogueAgent94

;D I didn't mean you needed a 75g for your snails lol. I meant that it would be a great breeding tank because you mentioned you had the 5g under it. I wouldn't breed these guys in anything smaller than a 20g though. Larger would be better. The 5g would be an excellent hatching tank but grow out tanks need to be large. I used my 70g as a breeding and grow out tank so I didn't have to worry about having multiple tanks for the snails. Larger and smaller snails get along just fine.

17. OP
    OP
    soarl

The little pond snails in my tank love hitching rides on the mystery snail express!

18. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Got some nice looking snails there.

19. p

porkozone New Member Member

Thanks for the pics! Good to learn about the growth lines too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice