festivum or firemouth? 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by allaboutfish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i was wondering which would be better for my 55? so far i plan on these
    1- blood parrot
    1- cutteri cichlid
    6- congo tetras
    3-syno petricola
    i was going to do just the BP and a medium to large cichlid like a EBJD or severum, but my grandma wants the cutteri. the firemouth seems like it might be better since its smaller, but the festivum is more peaceful. i really like the festivums but i dont know much about them. ill have a lot of filteration, some live plants, and some fake plants to break the line of sight.

2. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

3. MD Angels

MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Hi there,

I just want to say that I do not keep any of these cichlids, nor do I have BPs. So I had to do a bit of searching and reading to formulate an answer for you. This is not to say I have no idea what I'm talking about, its just that I have no personal experience with these specific fish. :)
    Hopefully someone who does will see this.

I love that your grandma is apart of the fish selection. The only thing that I have concern for is the one she chose. Reading on other forums, profiles, etc., it says the cutteri can be quite aggressive - more than what they are considered to be. If this is truly the case I would be most worried for your parrot, as they cannot defend them selves.

To answer your question though - I like the festivum. :)

4. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

the cutteri are only aggressive when they are protecting their fry from what ive seen. ive kept a pair, but while they had fry the male killed my female so my aunt didnt like him anymore so i sold him and my grandma liked him so i had to keep one of his kids. haha, if i get a 40 breeder instead of using my 30, would just the festivum and blood parrot work? i need an answer fast bc the auction ends in 3 hours.

5. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

dang there is a lot of confilcting info on these fish! i've see tempermant as aggressive or shy timid. ive seen 4 inches and 7 inches. ive seen plant eater or needs a well planted tank. i really like this fish and i think it would do great with my BP and if my cutteri causes problems he can go in the 20.

6. MD Angels

A BP and a festivum in the 55, right? And the other guy in a 40?

I think you should get a 75 for the BP and festivum (and other things) and keep the cutteri son in the 55 ;).

Is he aggressive right now? I did read about the fry/aggression being an issue. As long as you have a back up plan for if things do not work out, I would say its ok. I only am a bit concerned that a 55 is a little cramped for a BP, festivum, and cutteri -if we are worried about aggression issues.

But like I said, if you have a back up plan, and you know what this is what you want, and you've done research, spent time thinking about it, then I would say go for it.

7. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

ill probably keep the cutteri in the 20. thats what i kept my pair in. maybe add a couple of dithers.

8. MD Angels

Are you talking about the festivum? There is a lot of conflicting info with any species you research. Its about finding a reputable source. I think if you are not sure, then dont do it. Buying spur of the moment is usually not a good idea. I'm sure there will be other opportunities to buy these fish. What do you think about that?

9. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

i mean none of the info really makes me think that it wont work, and i can change the tank as it wants it. start with plants and if it eats them, remove them. 4 or 7 inches is fine in a 55, and i think the aggression depends on the individiual and i think the BP would be fine either way.

10. MD Angels

Great. Well, I think you have your answers. :)

Now just be sure to take lots of pics for us when your new fish arrive! :)

11. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

i did a little more research on the combo of the blood parrot and the festivum and found that if the tank is big enough and appopriatly stocked it they should be a great combo. especially since blood parrots like the bottom more and the festivums like the top more. so i put in my bid on aquabid :)

12. MD Angels

Great! Did you get them?

13. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i have a festivum in my 150 planted, and he doesn't bother them. i think they *could* eat them...but it's a low risk. a BP would mess up a planted tank, as would firemouths, i think. both fish are pretty laid back...though it depends on the breeding situation...and how many there are. i think festivums actually like being in groups. i just don't have more at this time.

firemouths are like 5-6 inches...flag cichlids are about 6

14. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

i got one festivum. and ill have floating plants for the festivum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice