Ferts

promisedsin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Currently I have a 4 gallon planted tank with a random sword I got for free when i got my vals, and a 10 gallon planted with a bunch of different plants. I dont want the hassle of a co2 system. I have 3wpg of 6500k cfls lighting the tank. Im currently using florish excel and I was wondering if there is anything I should use in combination with this. Thank you

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Firstly, stop using the Excel. It will eventually kill your Vallis. Which tank has the 3wpg? If it is the 4gl tank, I hate to tell you but it is still a low light tank. The WPG rules do not apply to any tank under 10 gallon & some will even say 15gal. If you have the same kind of lighting over both tanks then I doubt you will need co2 or fertilizers. Perhaps the occasional dose of Flourish Comprehensive but that's probably about it. If you have different lights over the 10 gallon though let us know & the advice might change for that tank.

promisedsin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The 3wpg is for the 10 gallon. The 4 gallon currently has 5wpg. Both with a sand subtrate.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Given the plants that you have, the lighting & the type of substrate, I would probably use substrate fertilizers. I highly recommend Flourish Root Tablets. They have given me excellent results & only need to be replaced every 3 months. API Root Tablets are also good but need to be replaced every month & don't contain the trace elements that the Seachem product does. You will need to stop using the Excel in any tank that has Vallis as it will cause the Vallis to melt & eventually die altoghether. On the 10 gallon you will have to do either diy or pressurised co2 if it has Vallis in it. The 4gal is still low-med light so I wouldn't bother with co2 in that at all.

Steve420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nutter said:
You will need to stop using the Excel in any tank that has Vallis as it will cause the Vallis to melt & eventually die altoghether.
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones when it comes to Vals vs. Excel. I have a TON of Jungle Vals in my 55 gallon and I dose with Excel all the time.

I will admit, in the first week or so of having them they didn't look all the great and were going through the "melting" process. But I think that they have eventually adapted to the use of Excel because I am cutting them back every few days. I've had vals reach 6 feet in length and approx 2" wide!! (I cried a little the day I had to cut that one off)
Its been around 2 years and they are still going strong.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads