Ferts for planted 20gal

1. slayer980 Member Member

Ok so I use flourish iron in my 20 gal tank. I was just curious as to what other ferts I should use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. bellachan Well Known Member Member

I dose with flourish and flourish trace. So far so good! :) i have root tabs as well. And DIY co2.

If your plants are doing fine and are healthy just keep dosing with what you have :) your plants will show you what they need if they lack a nutrient

3. slayer980 Member Member

Thx. They seem to be doing ok. But this is my first tank in nearly 20 yrs and the first time ive ever had live plants.

4. bellachan Well Known Member Member

It's my first planted tank as well! Lol I can't give an expert opinion but both our tanks seem to be doing ok :) do you have pictures? Maybe someone with a good eye can identify if your plants need anything els

5. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Flourish Comprehensive is a good all around fert to use that has a little bit of macros and a good amount of micros in it. Root tabs really help for root feeding plants like crypts and swords.
    bellachan - Are you using Flourish Comprehensive AND Flourish Trace? If so, you don't need the trace. Comprehensive is basically Trace with a little extra macros in it, as the Trace is just a mix of micro ferts. You wouldn't need to use both Comprehensive and Trace, I would just stick with comprehensive. Trace is more for people that also use direct macro ferts like N, P, and K.

6. slayer980 Member Member

I only have flourish iron. I dont have any good pics at the moment. I will see if I cant get a few today after I do my wc and trim of the plants. Plus I need to add the flame moss I purchased to the tank today as well.

7. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Yes I believe it's the comprehensive. Well at least I have an extra bottle to last me longer. Lol i'll alternate until I need more and I will just get the comprehensive :) it said in the back of the bottle that it can be used atlernatly with trace. I guess I got caught in the selling scheme ;p

8. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

I think we have all got caught there before

9. slayer980 Member Member

This is a pic of the current 20gallon. I did t get time for a water change or trim.

Attached Files:

10. bellachan Well Known Member Member

I like it! The plants look happy and healthy :)

11. slayer980 Member Member

They were half the size 3 weeks ago. I couldnt believe how fast they grew