Question Fertilizers And Water Changes

Nierums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry if this a dumb question or seems like common sense, but I have never taken on live planted tanks before and want to make sure I'm doing it right. I have water Sprite and Java fern currently that both seem to be doing well, but I am doing daily water changes due to being km the nitrites spike of a fish in cycle. If I do 25% water change, should I add the equivalent of Fert back into the tank? The directions say to Fert once a week, so should I replace what I am taking out, or just stick with the once a week like the directions say? Thank you as always!

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm sorry if this a dumb question or seems like common sense, but I have never taken on live planted tanks before and want to make sure I'm doing it right. I have water Sprite and Java fern currently that both seem to be doing well, but I am doing daily water changes due to being km the nitrites spike of a fish in cycle. If I do 25% water change, should I add the equivalent of Fert back into the tank? The directions say to Fert once a week, so should I replace what I am taking out, or just stick with the once a week like the directions say? Thank you as always!
When I started cycling with plants, I didn’t use any fertilizer until my cycle was finished and my tank was established. Some fertilizers will give false readings and will raise nitrates. Once my tank was established for a month after my cycle was done, I introduced ferts and dose once a week after a 30% water change.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I started cycling with plants, I didn’t use any fertilizer until my cycle was finished and my tank was established. Some fertilizers will give false readings and will raise nitrates. Once my tank was established for a month after my cycle was done, I introduced ferts and dose once a week after a 30% water change.
They're not really false readings because the test is just registering the nitrate that's been added - unless you mean they take away the ability to know nitrates from the cycle? Though I have a good guess of the one OP is using and it doesn't contain nitrates
If you plant moderately-heavily you don't really need to cycle the tank because the plants will take in ammonia quite fast, and bacteria will eventually grow in the filter on its own

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They're not really false readings because the test is just registering the nitrate that's been added - unless you mean they take away the ability to know nitrates from the cycle? Though I have a good guess of the one OP is using and it doesn't contain nitrates
If you plant moderately-heavily you don't really need to cycle the tank because the plants will take in ammonia quite fast, and bacteria will eventually grow in the filter on its own
Yup I was referring to that. Some ferts contain nitrates so it will give false numbers if you’re testing for it. Not sure if the op has a heavily planted tank as only two plants were listed. I don’t feel the need to add ferts when there aren’t that many plants and in the middle of a cycle. I’d wait until my cycle is done. My plants grew during the cycling process without the use of ferts. But now they’re growing a bit faster than before because of the fert.

However, that’s just me. To each their own

Nierums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Replace what you take out
Thank you!

Thank you, and I'm using Aquarium Co op's Easy Green

Yup I was referring to that. Some ferts contain nitrates so it will give false numbers if you’re testing for it. Not sure if the op has a heavily planted tank as only two plants were listed. I don’t feel the need to add ferts when there aren’t that many plants and in the middle of a cycle. I’d wait until my cycle is done. My plants grew during the cycling process without the use of ferts. But now they’re growing a bit faster than before because of the fert.

However, that’s just me. To each their own
Thanks! Not heavily planted, just the two.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you!

Thank you, and I'm using Aquarium Co op's Easy Green

Thanks! Not heavily planted, just the two.
Well I was wrong then it does contain nitrogen, though with all in ones I recommend splitting your single weekly dose into two for a more even distribution of nutrients. Just if you have the time to do so

Nierums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I was wrong then it does contain nitrogen, though with all in ones I recommend splitting your single weekly dose into two for a more even distribution of nutrients. Just if you have the time to do so
That's great, thanks for the recommendation, that seems like a good idea!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom