Fertilizers And Water Changes Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Nierums, Apr 10, 2019.

1. NierumsValued MemberMember

I'm sorry if this a dumb question or seems like common sense, but I have never taken on live planted tanks before and want to make sure I'm doing it right. I have water Sprite and Java fern currently that both seem to be doing well, but I am doing daily water changes due to being km the nitrites spike of a fish in cycle. If I do 25% water change, should I add the equivalent of Fert back into the tank? The directions say to Fert once a week, so should I replace what I am taking out, or just stick with the once a week like the directions say? Thank you as always!

2. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Replace what you take out :)

3. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

When I started cycling with plants, I didn’t use any fertilizer until my cycle was finished and my tank was established. Some fertilizers will give false readings and will raise nitrates. Once my tank was established for a month after my cycle was done, I introduced ferts and dose once a week after a 30% water change.

4. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

They're not really false readings because the test is just registering the nitrate that's been added - unless you mean they take away the ability to know nitrates from the cycle? Though I have a good guess of the one OP is using and it doesn't contain nitrates
    If you plant moderately-heavily you don't really need to cycle the tank because the plants will take in ammonia quite fast, and bacteria will eventually grow in the filter on its own :)

5. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Yup I was referring to that. Some ferts contain nitrates so it will give false numbers if you’re testing for it. Not sure if the op has a heavily planted tank as only two plants were listed. I don’t feel the need to add ferts when there aren’t that many plants and in the middle of a cycle. I’d wait until my cycle is done. My plants grew during the cycling process without the use of ferts. But now they’re growing a bit faster than before because of the fert.

However, that’s just me. To each their own :)

6. NierumsValued MemberMember

Thank you!

Thank you, and I'm using Aquarium Co op's Easy Green

Thanks! Not heavily planted, just the two.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2019
  7. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Well I was wrong then it does contain nitrogen, though with all in ones I recommend splitting your single weekly dose into two for a more even distribution of nutrients. Just if you have the time to do so :)

8. NierumsValued MemberMember

That's great, thanks for the recommendation, that seems like a good idea!