Fertilizer Without Nitrogen?

1. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

Are there fertilizers that don't have nitrogen? I have enough nitrogen due to my fish (and most of my plants are small) and I'm finding I'm doing extra water changes due to the fertilizer. I guess I can just give a few drops instead of a proper dose but I have low light so I'd like to ensure they at least get some good nutrition.

I'm new to plants so I could be on the wrong track. :). I have:
    - 1 Java fern
    - 2 anubais
    - some crypts (small)
    - small helanthium quadricostatus
    - small rotala rotundifolia

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I liked to use a partial dose of micronutrient fertilizer, no extra nitrogen in that!

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of fertilizers are you using now?

What are your nitrates going up to before a water change?

4. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

@Aquaphobia thanks, that's a good idea. Do you have a brand you like/recommend?

@TexasDomer I'm currently using Seacham Flourish. An example would be yesterday. I tested my water and nitrates were 20 ppm (after a 70% water change - I just finished cycling). I then added Flourish. About 9 hours later my fish were acting funny.... so I tested my water again and the results were 0/0/40/. I have a 10 gallon where I had the same thing happen. I feel like any time I add Flourish I'm doing a water change within a day... but maybe I'm not giving my plants enough time to absorb the nutrients and am testing too soon. I'm done cycling now but I was testing daily.

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Flourish comprehensive has no nitrogen at all. It says it has, but it is a ridicule ammount. I cant see how it would add 20 mg of nitrogen per liter to your water.

6. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

Huh. that's interesting. I have 8 platys in a 37 gallon, so I'm not overstocked. I was undergoing a fishless cycle and put my 8 platys in a 10 gallon for 3 weeks, so I get why I was doing frequent water changes in my 10 gallon. Maybe my water hadn't mixed enough in the 37 gallon when I did the test and my nitrates weren't actually 20, they were higher. I tested again today and they're still 20 but I didn't dose with Flourish after I did the water change last night.

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I was using Nutrafin Plant Gro with iron. It worked well for my situation but you've got good stuff so I would try to get to the bottom of your nitrogen issue before switching.

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

easylife.profito

9. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

It might be a good idea to just do another WC or two and get the nitrates very low. Then assess how much they actually rise in about a week. With or without fertilizer it's good info.

10. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I just did another small one. I'll keep checking daily and change the water as necessary. I likely should have removed more than 70% yesterday but that took longer than I thought (I use pails). Optimism does not excuse reality. lol

11. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I literally had to do back to back 90% WCs on my 60G to get it cleaned up before I stocked. If you dose ammonia like you should you are going to make some nitrates. You know how tough the API test colors can be to read with certainty. You were probably way high.

12. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Have you tested your tap for nitrates?

Also keep in mind that everything that makes up "nitrates" is not just pure nitrogen, so yes, while dosing nitrogen your nitrates will rise, yet just because you have high nitrates doesn't mean you have enough nitrogen available for plant use.
    Easy life mentioned earlier contains NO nitrates or phosphates. Flourish contains ver very little. Decent all in ones like nilocg thrive or UNS plant food will add about 7ppm....