Fertilizer for aquatic plants

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by Alcmiller, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Alcmiller

Alcmiller Valued Member Member

So I've got some plans on doing some aquascaping in a 10 gallon over this coming summer. I plan on just using a few plants to get a grasp on things like some Java fern, either java moss or dwarf hairgrass for a carpet, and some vals.

I've been doing research on a few of these plants and I've seen mentions of using some sort of fertilizer below the substrate to see the best results... But I have no idea if there's special fertilizer for this or something else.

I guess I'm just wondering if using fertilizer for these plants is required and if so what kinds/brands should I consider?

Thanks all.:)

2. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

Its not required for java moss val or fava fern as they are not very demanding plants and they should grow well even in low light conditions.

Now the dwarf hairgrass is a different story, It is more demanding and most likely would need to have fertilizers and/or CO2 with decent lighting to see significant growth (if any).

Hope this helps your adventure. Don't back down make it happen and add pictures when you doo!

Also... WELCOME TO FISHLORE : )

3. OP
    OP
    Alcmiller

Thanks for the help mate, I plan on getting this tank up and running mid May and am very excited to share the results with everyone. I might even do some weekly vlogging of it ;)

4. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I use just the Fluorish fert liquid and every 6 months tabs and it looks like a jungle. haha Good for the shrimps.

5. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I run 2 tanks with 2 watts/gallon of lighting, ferts, and Excel. At this level of lighting the dwarf hairgrass slowly died. If you want to grow this plant you will need higher lighting. The other plants will grow under almost any condition including low light and no ferts (as long as you have fairly normal tap water).

6. OP
    OP
    Alcmiller

Thanks Navy, I've seen mention of tablets and fluids to put into the tank before, it's a great suggestion I'll look into some more. Gotta love google eh? =P

LetDiceFly, Thanks for the info on the dwarf Hairgrass. It's a beautiful plant but the more I hear about it the more it sounds like it could require some real investment (Co2 system, lighting). I just gotta decide if it's worth it to me or not.

7. N

Neji Valued Member Member

That's what I use too :) Do your plants stay green and healthy?

8. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Yeap only when I put them into a new tank that is not planted is when they go into a stage of adjustment but they grow out of it in around a week.

9. i

PS a CO2 system is not required... you could DIY for dirt cheap... though there are a few drawbacks but other than that...

10. OP
    OP
    Alcmiller

I decided to go all out for this tank, I don't want to be limited with just low-light plants. So I'll be trying out various DIY CO2 systems and lighting systems to stay within a decent budget. perttty excited ^_^

11. i

Lights... $4.65 Wallmart compact flourecent 10 watts... $1.97 socket adapter for an outlet $2.65 for an extension cord with 3 outlets.

DIY CO2. $.99 3 litter soda bottle... $1.99 extra airline hosing $4.99 10lb bag of sugar (last a long time!) $3.99 1year yeast supply...

12. OP
    OP
    Alcmiller

;) already been scoutin' it all out. Thanks ilikefish.

13. i

nice! and np. Goodluck!

14. N

Oh I see.

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I currently have Anubia's, Java Moss, Japanese Marimo Balls in low light and no fertilizers and they are all doing very well.

Ken

16. N

I hear those plants don't ask for much :) but will fertilizer help them grow faster? or is it just better that they grow at their own pace without any fertilizers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice