Fertilization Dosing Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by appcontrol, Apr 25, 2018.

1. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Ok so 85l tank, around 80% stocked, at this moment I am adding liquid co2(easy carbo) 1,5ml daily, 3ml of profito (microelements) and jbl kugeln in fine gravel substrate and that's it, actually i started adding profito 1 week ago and after first dose i started having small algae problems but i need to find right dose.
    So my question is do i need to add macroelements jbl npk or diy varient of that, i was thinking to start adding 1ml per day but not sure would i do more bad than good in tank?

2. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Perhaps try not to add any liquid macros mixed in with the micros, as sometimes the molecules can bond together, therefore creating an unacceptable form of the nutrients for the plants, pretty much rendering them moot altogether; in essence, it'd be kinda like mixing oil and water. Maybe add them on separate days. It's what I do on all of my planted tanks. Although everyone's tank IS different, another example would be is: what I do is the every other day method, dose of liquid potassium and iron. Plants NEED potassium in order to assimilate iron, thus I add potassium one day, then the next day, add iron, then the next day, the potassium, then the next day, more iron and so on etc. etc.

3. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

Tnx man, do you think mabey to do this every day liquid co2 (i don't have pressurezid) and one day 2-3ml of microelements and then day after jbl npk macroelements 1ml etc.?

And i forget to tell that my light period is 8 hours

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  4. SFGiantsGuy

Correct. Although my recommendation is to perhaps dose the liquid CO2 every other day. And perhaps try dosing 2-3ml of MACROS one day, then the next day do 1 ml of MICROS--pretty much in opposite order in which you have stated. Plants need much more of the MACROS on a more frequent basis. And what type of plants/how many do you have???

5. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

You don't think that every other day of co2 is too low? I have anubias, java fern, moss, marimoballs, hygrophila difformis like 6-7 plants in back, some hygrophilia polysperma, some lobelia cardinalis mini and i think some kind of red Ludwigia ( not all plants are growing good beacuose only nutrients in substrate is jbl balls, i didn't prepare that good for plants in first aquarium. And i just started adding micro and no macro yet.

6. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

I used this calculator to come up with an recipe for my dosing regime. It will give you the correct ratio of macros to micros. Start slow and increase to suggested dose until your tank behaves the way you like it.

7. SFGiantsGuy

You have some very very nice easy ones sir! : ) The overall key is to steadily reach the "balance" of ferts, light etc. in your tank. Moreover, an unfortunate consequence can be is...algae. Uncontrollable and sporadic algae outbreaks are quite simply an indication of nutrient imbalance--either too much ferts...or not enough ferts. They key is to through much trial and error, is to strike that "sweet spot", and maintain a steady, routine balance. Plants need "routine" to achieve said balance, so thus, use your light on a regular, closest threshhold as possible, is possible, down to the very minute. SLOWLY dose ferts until you start to discover the desired results, (new growth, pearling etc.) then adjust accordingly if needed, but also do that SLOWLY so they have a chance to adjust. Although most liquid CO2's ARE essentially an algaecide, you at least need some very very small amount of algae, to indicate that you tank is able to process nitrogen and your tank is "alive". Liquid CO2 is pretty darn good IMO as well. The plants you own honestly, aren't all that demanding regardless. Just keep a steady fert schedule, as the thing is, granted the non overbearing and appropriate conditions, plants are more capable of adjusting and are more versatile than most people think. And do be mindful and read carefully of the actual ingredients in your ferts and do decisive calculating and with scrutiny! I actually use a small mix of Thrive, Easy Green, (Aquarium Co-Op's brand) Tums human digestive medicine once per week, (YES, Tums! lol) as some of the ferts I use are almost completely absent of calcium carbonate for plants and my Nerites. As well as Seachem Iron, Potassium, Flourish, Advance and Excel. And root tabs (API and Flourish tabs) for the Swords and other stem plants. I also only do 1 ppm injected CO2 now. And aquarium salt added only 1 tbsp. per week.

Oops, typos--I meant 2 ppm CO2.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

Tnx on all info man. I will try every other day schedule with 3ml macro nitrogen, potassium and phosphor, 1ml micro and i think i will keep adding 1.5ml of co2 daily and then i will adjust until i get good balance. Tnx one more time on all advices

Plus i have ferropol - iron so i will put it after water change once a week

9. SFGiantsGuy

Your welcome sir. As I said, every tank IS different. And with all things considered and applied, your results literally, WILL be relative to YOUR tank. ALL tanks require different regimens and tweaking. It's your task to nurse your plants to their ideal conditions. : ) Sounds like you're doing perfectly!

10. Ioana Dog

Ioana Dog Valued Member Member

This is way more complicated than I expected. I’m just starting to figure out what fert to use when and worry about overdosing something. Could too much of anything kill my fish? Im assuming too much CO2 is bad but I don’t know.

11. Baba

Too much is definitely harmful! I have never heard of anyone overdosing fertilizer and causing harm but think its possible. However, with CO2 I know enough horror stories and I as well have wiped out an entire shrimp tank. Plant growth was phenomenal though. :D

12. SFGiantsGuy

Yeah don't wanna gas your fish or anything else! I almost did once... : (

Shoot, sorry if I made it sound too complicated. : (

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2018
  13. Ioana Dog

No that’s fine! It is complicated if you want to do it right. When I asked the guy said to just plant them and forget about them, I didn’t have to do anything - he was wrong but happy he made a sale I suppose.

14. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Not with ferts, only with pressurized CO2 and the liquid carbon substitutes.

15. Baba

Don't be intimidated, just do it. Have a good starting point and then follow @SFGiantsGuy advise. Go slow, really slow from there. Only change one parameter at the time, wait and see how it affects your plants. Keeping a journal in the beginning really helped me.

16. SFGiantsGuy

Yeah, and some notes, dry erase board etc. etc. Then as you progress, you'll get used to it, as well as compare your notes and make adjustments accordingly etc. etc. Good luck there!

17. Ioana Dog

I started fert dosing more because some anubias leaves are turning yellow and some of the amazon leaves are becoming transparent but I think I’m doing something wrong because now I have brown algae in some of my tanks. Could the fert be causing the algae? Also, how long until I see my plants are doing better and do I remove the yellow and transparent leaves? I can’t keep house plants alive so maybe I shouldn’t have planted tanks

18. Baba

Did you just blindly dosed ferts or did you do some measurements to determine what nutrient is deficient? Most issues are a lack of sufficient CO2 in relation to available light, yellowing older leaves could be a lack of N too, though.

19. Ioana Dog

I went with the whole blind dosing thing using recommended doses on the bottles. How and what do I test for? I have a lot of aeration in my tanks so maybe that is causing a lower level of CO2?

20. Baba

I assume you have a API test kit? You can test for your NO3 and keep this slightly elevated 10-20ppm, this will cover your macro N. For P you would need to get a separate test but the one from API is really awful to use. I got one from Henna but they aren't cheap. I found no real good and affordable K test (I found one in Germany but the initial costs are 90 EUR ($108) and refills costs 62 EUR ($75). Here it's best to just have the levels elevated by calculation and take excess out with your WC.
    Yes, surface aeration drives CO2 out of the water column. You could get a drop checker relatively cheap and get a feeling what your level is (blue very low, green good for plants and yellow >30ppm danger for fish and shrimps)  

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice