Fertilising during cycling

• Thread starter LouisChallies
  • Start date

LouisChallies

Hi all,

I am trying to decide whether I should begin adding liquid fertiliser to my planted tank yet. It is a Fluval Flex 123L (32.5 US Gallon) aquarium. It is about 2 weeks into cycling and is testing positive for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate with Ammonia dropping as Nitrate rises. I have been using Seachem Stability and Prime as I have 2 Molly’s already in there. It is planted with Dwarf Sagittarius, a Marble Queen Sword, Anubius, Java Fern, Java Moss and Lindernia Rotundifolia. I am adding Pennywort and some Stargrass (to grow as a low foreground plant in front of the rocks) later today. I do not have CO2 set up yet but will be doing this soon. Lights are currently on 6 hours per day. The reason I am not sure whether to begin adding ferts yet is because I want to avoid an Algae bloom. I would be using Seachem comprehensive for micronutrients and another product which contacts Macronutrients. Would half dosing be sensible at the start maybe or go all in? Should I maybe increase my lighting period once I start ferts? I have it on for only 6 hours once again to avoid new tank algae! I’m not worried about some Algae I just want to avoid all my plants being covered in it. I already have root tabs in the substrate. Please see the below picture. Your constructive advice would be much appreciated :)33FA1823-9CE5-49F1-90CC-E3E495AC63F8.jpeg

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
I'd simply wait some time. The plants need to adapt themselves as well and need nitrates and phosfates to really start growing.

smee82

I would start dosing ferts normally.

GlennO

Well Known
The only minor issue I can think of is that since you're doing a fish-in cycle you'll be doing a lot of water changes for the next few weeks so quite a bit of fertiliser will be going to waste.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Dose immediately after planting
You can low dose the macros to control any potential algae, but up the dose as the plants start growing :)

Top Bottom