Fertilisers for low light tank

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Should i be using seachem flourish excel liquid ferts or tabs on my low light tank setup? Ive read articles on here saying low tech tanks may or may not need it.. Would it benefit my plants at all? Or should i not worry?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'd definitely use Excel at least... But Fluorish may not be a good idea if you are using slow growing plants unless you have some fast growers. The slow growers won't be able to compete with algae for nutrients that I'm afraid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

What kind of plants do you have?

4. OP
    OP
    K

Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Seachem flourish excel is what the product is called.. Ive never seen just seachem excel...

I have elodia thats a fast grower but not sure about my other plants..

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

There's Seachem Fluorish and Seachem Fluorish Excel... One is an all-in-one liquid fertilizer and the other is liquid co2 substitute.

6. AquaticBrandon

Can you post a picture of the plants?

7. OP
    OP
    K

So i should get seachem fluorish excel or flourish?

I have annubias, val (i think), hair grass, ambulia, lilaeopsis and lizards tail (removing lizards tail as its not supposed to be fully submerged)

But once i get my 240L up and running i will be getting more plants.. Hence why some plants are still in pots as i will be setting up new tank with deeper substraight on weekend

Attached Files:

8. AquaticBrandon

I would go with Seachem flourish. Seachem flourish contains both a small amount of macro ferts and micro ferts. Macro ferts are ( Nitrogen, and phosphorus ) micro ferts are ( iron, magnesium, and boron). It's a good fertilizer to start off with. I believe Flourish Excel can melt your Jungle Val.

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

But if you have slow growers, you need to carefully dose or there will be extra nutrients that algae would take advantage of. I recommend having both fast and slow growers:)

10. OP
    OP
    K

Apart from elodia is there any other fast growers i can add to my low light tank

Also would i follow directions on fertiliser bottle or just half the amount?

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I have some hornworts that grow like weeds in my planted tank.

12. OP
    OP
    K

Now im confused 1 saying seachem flourish the other saying excel? So go with seachem flourish so i dont melt my vals?

Just use half recommended dose or follow directions on bottle

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'd go with both. Even if the Val's melt at first, you can slowly acclimate them to Excel and they can make a recovery.

14. OP
    OP
    K

Im having a black brush/black beard algae bloom in my current 150L im assuming due to high CO2 in tap water? So dont really need to add extra CO2 do i in the form of "seachem flourish excel"?

Standard "Seachem flourish" on the other hand is an all in one fertiliser yes? Im finally understanding the difference however ive never seen just seachem flourish ive only ever seen flourish excel..

15. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437600361.588183.jpg
    Excel can be used as an algaecide if you spot treat it with a syringe or pipette.

16. OP
    OP
    K

I dosed tank for first time with just flourish.. Some of my black beard algea has turned bright red in parts is this normal?

17. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

How long has it been planted? It's gorgeous. If you have those results with not ferts, I would not mess with it.

18. OP
    OP
    K

Plants have only been in a short time some a few months others couple of weeks hence probs why they look good atm.. Anyways ive had to pull them all up and replant as i transfered to a 75g tank yesturday... Just wanted to know if its normal for black hair algea to turn red after dosing with flourish will my SAEs still eat it?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice