Fertiliser mix turned blackwater BLACK?

1. beau Well Known Member Member

I set up a blackwater tank yesterday, and after a bit of confusion at the lfs I ended up with an "Anubias" that was actually a type of Sword. I figured I'd continue dosing ferts in hopes of keeping it alive lol.

Anyways, so I added a mix of the appropriate amount of Excel, Iron, Flourish, and Prime. (all Seachem) Shortly after, the tank was BLACK. I can barely see the driftwood that sits in the middle of it lol. Is this normal/is it a problem? It doesn't seem to be bothering any of the stock but as I have some very sensitive fish I don't want to cause problems. Of course, because I just mixed them all together I can't tell which one actually caused it.

2. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Maybe a chemical in one of the Ferts drew out tannins like theirs no tomorrow? If you're worried, do a water change and stop using the Ferts all together. Use each one at a time for the next few weeks and try figure out which one is causing your water to darken intensely.
    Hopefully your more delicate species won't mind they change in lighting

3. beau Well Known Member Member

So I tried mixing each fert with some of the tannin filled water that I boiled the driftwood in, and didn't get any sort of reaction. It may be that it is something to do with the Indian Almond Leaves that I used to make the extract, but I guess I can't really be sure lol.

As the tank is still extremely dark and it has been a couple of hours, I think a small water change is in order.

4. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Hehehe yea I think that is certainly in order! An inky tank is no tank to be seen ^_^ perhaps all the Ferts combined had some sort of leeching chemical effect? I'm stumped here as chemistry isn't really my thing but perhaps the combination of fertilisers either made a visual reaction; adding to the already darkened blackwater tank, or making the dw spew tannins. I'm really now sure what happened here Thank god everyone living in there seems to be alright. I'd love to find out what caused the water to darken so much and seemingly inexplicably