Fert Questions

1. TagTeam

TagTeam Valued Member Member

I've been wrestling with algae issues for months.
    My plants & glass are consistently caked in it.
    I only have my light on for 6 hours a day (7am - 10am, 5pm-8pm)

I started dry ferts for the first time last week (PPS) to see if it would help.
    How patient should I prepare myself to be?
    Should I expect to see results within days, weeks or months?

Tank: 20g high
    Light: Beamswork DA FSPEC
    Substrate: BDBS

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Are the nitrates at? Co2 could be another problem since co2 is what limits algae growth. highly recommend looking into co2. Also, what type of algae is it. there are fish out their that will eat algae, or you might just need to do a three day blackout.

3. OP
    OP
    TagTeam

I'll test nitrates soon. Last I checked they were at zero.
    I can't afford CO2 at this point. Possibly will be able to later.
    I'm not familiar with the different types of algae. It's the kind that appears on the glass everyday and turns my plants brown.
    Would you recommend a 3 day blackout?

4. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

that sounds like brown diatom which is usually caused by poor plant health, high nitrates, and low lighting. Otocinclus could help with that, but they like colder water and need to be in groups of 6. Otherwise, it's very normal to need to scrub aquarium walls, and decor free of algae every once in a while. I would mainly look into plant health though inorder to prevent algae growth on leaves. Co2 won't help much if this is brown diatom.

5. OP
    OP
    TagTeam

Image1526913588.084776.jpg

Image1526913667.274871.jpg

Image1526913729.557287.jpg

6. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

That light is not strong enough for a tall tank. I would recommend a nicrew, it's what I'm using now and costs about thr same as your beamswork if not a little cheaper. I also agree with the co2 comment. If you have a welding store near by you can get a 5lb tank for about $20 and everything else you can find on Amazon for cheap. I spent less than $100 on everything needed for pressurized co2 on my 55 gallon.

Are you using root tabs. I'm not familiar with your substrate but if it doesn't have nutrients in it for the root feeding plants you have that could be causing your plants to be unhealthy.

7. OP
    OP
    TagTeam

Ok thank you, very helpful
    Yes, I'm using root tabs which definitely helped my green cabomba. It hasn't seemed to help the water sprite or amazon swords

8. d

That's strange. Swords are very heavy root feeders. It may be because the plant was added recently. How long have the others been in the tank?

9. OP
    OP
    TagTeam

The green cabomba has been in there for about 4 months. The sprite about 3 months. The swords about a month.

I'm all out of aquarium money for now (for probably 6 months), so getting CO2 is out of the question at least for now.

Would you guys recommend I keep my light on longer each day? I currently have it on for 3 hours in the morning & 3 in the evening. I was under the impression that keeping the light on longer would increase algae growth, but if my light is too low that doesn't make sense to me.

10. d

Your lighting seems fine. Your swords will start growing very soon they just needed time to root and adjust to your tank and that can take a month or so.

11. d

Honestly I have never had luck with water Sprite it has always melted away no matter what I did. Although I never tried floating it.

12. OP
    OP
    TagTeam

13. d

Just remember that you are using the beamswork. I would give it 8 hrs of continuous light with no break unless you see algae. It is a bit week when it comes to par. I have the exact same light but dont use it anymore because it wasn't good enough for my plants. But yours it "should" be ok if you up the time.

14. OP
    OP
    TagTeam

I added a couple Otocinclus per your advice and they've worked wonders! Thank you!! I plan on getting a few more soon