Fert Confusion

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a newly cycled 5 gallon with a betta. I just put in a subulata bunch and spiralis crypt. The LFS gave me way more than I thought I was getting so it's a jungle. He also has marimo, IAL and cholla.
I also have a 29g with one mean little Malawi cichlid who I love and who doesn't tear up plants. He's been living for several months with anubias attached to driftwood (his cave) and some marimo, but I bought two more large pieces of driftwood with attached anubias and moss for him when I bought the other plants.
Both aquariums have a little hornwort and anacharis just because I have a ton of it.
Was using Aqueon fert only occasionally in the 29 and the single anubias has been green and happy. With the addition of so much more green I assumed I would need more and bought Flourish Excel, mistaking it to be Flourish fert with an added CO2 booster, so I guess I need a fert in addition to it, but I don't want to spend a lot more money. Flourish tabs? NilocG? I'd rather not get a diffuser.
If relevant, the 5g has a HOB with Purigen and floss and a uv sterilizer. 29g has a HOB with floss and amazonite and a uv sterilizer (his params are consistently PERFECT). UV lighting and 29g gets indirect sunlight. Both of my boys seem very pleased with their new stuff.
This hobby only gets more complicated.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So you wouldn't need a diffuser anyway. Those are for injected CO2 systems, not for the liquid additive.

You don't need Excel - it's not all it's cracked up to be. It's better as an algae treatment.

Root tabs would be beneficial for the root feeders. The column feeders would benefit from a fert though. Flourish liquid has micros. NilocG has macros and micros, and it comes in an easy dosing pump. So it depends on what you want. If your plants aren't showing signs of macros deficiencies, then micros alone are fine. It does seem that a lot of people are moving away from Flourish though, and moving towards NilocG's easy, all-in-one bottle.

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cool. That matches up with a lot of what I'm reading but then there are always snotty debates about e--ver--y--thing. So do you think i need tabs if i go with NilocG?
By diffuser i meant to say the whole co2 system, but I'd like to stay low tech. I got a big discount on all the plants, but of course now i have to spend the money to keep them healthy.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, because root feeders really benefit from root tabs, rather than just ferts in the water column. If you want a cheaper/better option than Seachem root tabs (which again just contain micros, I believe), I go the DIY route with Osmocote Plus inside gel caps - you can also buy these premade from Ebay. They're cheap, and they have macros and micros. My plants love them.

There's a lot of debate about ferts, and many people seem to be brand snobs. I switched from Seachem's Flourish to dry ferts because I needed macros too, and it's cheaper (and I have a lot of tanks to use them in). For your tank, dry ferts would be overkill (way too much fert, it'd take you forever to go through), and something like Thrive would be much easier for your dosing.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dingomama said:
Cool. That matches up with a lot of what I'm reading but then there are always snotty debates about e--ver--y--thing. So do you think i need tabs if i go with NilocG?
By diffuser i meant to say the whole co2 system, but I'd like to stay low tech. I got a big discount on all the plants, but of course now i have to spend the money to keep them healthy.
you will need the root tabs for the root feeders as that is where they get almost all of their nutrients and liquid ferts for the plants that mostly feed through their leaves

Dingomama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I saw that online, too. Great idea! I bought gelatin and gummy bear molds when i started using repashy because i decided everything should be gummied. So osmocote gummies could be interesting. I'll let you know if i try it ;-).
Thank you so much for your help!

Any particular kind of osmocote?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It might be easier to use the gel capsules, or else freeze some into an ice cube. Not sure the gelatin would dissolve so that the ferts could be used by the plants.

Osmocote Plus. This is what I use:

You could buy a smaller bottle if they have one, you won't need near that much. Or you can buy them from Ebay:

This would also be plenty for likely a few years.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom