Ferret or dog?

bettaf1sh 7789

Hi all. I am wondering what is it like to own a ferret? I am interested in an animal that is social and enjoys being around me, likes to play, and can handle traveling in the car somewhat often, and being able to take out on pet friendly errands would be a plus. I know a dog would definitely check all these boxes but I’m somewhat unsure about having one. I assume cost for a ferret and dog would probably be similar due to necessary vet trips and vaccinations for both. So how do the two compare? The ferret would be mostly free range and I would do my best to ferret proof but do they chew and climb? Would the ferret hang out with me and initiate play like a dog does? Would it be okay traveling in the car for a couple hours or sometimes coming to the pet store with me?

Kribensis27

A ferret would be just fine going places with you sometimes, but ferrets are messy. They chew things, they shred things, they climb things, they hide behind and under things, they poop on things, they steal things, they hide things, and basically make your house their house. Ferrets be crazy is essentially what I’m saying.

Betta'sAnonymous

Not to mention, ferrets tend to stink to high heaven. Even if they have glands removed.

Newbie1234

I personally think ferrets are pretty cute but as other people have said, they really do stink.

CHJ

Get a dachshund and have both?

bettaf1sh 7789

Kribensis27 said:
A ferret would be just fine going places with you sometimes, but ferrets are messy. They chew things, they shred things, they climb things, they hide behind and under things, they poop on things, they steal things, they hide things, and basically make your house their house. Ferrets be crazy is essentially what I’m saying.
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Not to mention, ferrets tend to stink to high heaven. Even if they have glands removed.
Newbie1234 said:
I personally think ferrets are pretty cute but as other people have said, they really do stink.
Hi everyone, thank you for the advice! I actually do not mind much of a smell (I’ve always had “stinky” pets haha). How realistic is it to expect a ferret to poop in a litter box maybe 60-70% of the time? After training of course, or at the very least consistently poop on a puppy pad, assuming I put one in each corner of the room? I can clean up messes here and there on the floor, but all over the couch could get to be a little annoying but that’s what washing machines are for I suppose. I guess my priorities are not so much of how much inconvenience a pet will cause me (living alone and working from home so annoying antics from a pet are fine by me, it’s my only entertainment lol) I’m willing to adjust, obviously I don’t want to totally destroy the house but gating off and ferret proofing a good portion of my living space is okay by me. I just wanna know how much affection I can expect back from the pet. If they’re super playful and love to be around me, I can tolerant annoyances but I am not at all interested in a pet that has a high potential to be more independent. Thanks a bunch!

Newbie1234

They can bite a lot

Kribensis27

A ferret would definitely socialize with you plenty. And as the above post said, also bite plenty.

bettaf1sh 7789

Kribensis27 said:
A ferret would definitely socialize with you plenty. And as the above post said, also bite plenty.
Newbie1234 said:
They can bite a lot
Hmm play biting like a puppy or kitten or true aggressive biting that draws blood?

Kribensis27

bettaf1sh 7789 said:
Hmm play biting like a puppy or kitten or true aggressive biting that draws blood?
Mostly play biting, but their teeth are sharp. They might draw blood by accident.

Dippiedee

LOL I don't have an answer but why did my super tired brain think this was an ID thread. I was thinking hmm must be a really big ferret

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom