Ferret - More Social Interaction, How?

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by BettaFishyLuvr, Nov 9, 2017.

1. BettaFishyLuvr

BettaFishyLuvrWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +286
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    so my mom took in this little ferret, maybe a year old becuz her friend didn’t want to just give him to a stranger. She isn’t allowing me to get another ferret nor do i know the gender so I wouldn’t be able to prevent babies. Oscar is stuck in his cage almost all day, I take him out everyday for 20-30 minutes and i take him on an hour long walk every Sunday (taking breaks of course). I know ferrets should be kept in pairs so i am trying to give him as much social interaction as possible. Is there anything else I can be doing to help him feel like he has a friend?
    (I also can’t get another one becuz one Mom won’t allow it two don’t have money for the ferret itself and larger cage and three becuz I’m nervous about fights starting, he is small, maybe a foot long at most and he’s pretty much full grown.)

2. BobNJerry

BobNJerryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +184
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Its not necessary to have ferrets in pairs. I've had ferrets by themselves, together, with cats, with dogs.. they're great little pets.

Having a single ferret is fine and nothing to worry about.

they only need about an hour or so a day of playtime .. they like to sleep.

3. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I agree that they do not need a friend...they are very social so keep up on all the activities and play time...a human companion is just fine! I do recommend having a vet see if she/he has been fixed or not, it really can prevent a lot more things other than pregnancy:) Good luck!

4. WTFish?

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I’d like to add...Toys! A lot of toys, ones that are made for ferrets or small dogs, nothing they can tear up or choke on, especially if he is caged a lot.

5. BobNJerry

BobNJerryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +184
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    i would get cat toys for mine- or i should say that mine would steal the cat toys.

oh they are little thieves too! haha they steal things - big things- like work boots, brushes, shoes, clothes, bags, wallets... .. you'll find them under things or you'll see the ferret dragging it around.

they are a lot of fun - i miss my little stinky.

6. WTFish?

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Oh yeah, I should’ve said cat toys too....I miss my guy as well (also had a few fosters but only one was my main squeeze) ...so much fun! They do steal everything!! Lol...One day the kids left the Christmas stocking out and we came home (left him roaming living area for 15 minutes...big no-no) found him belly up, spread-eagle on the couch surrounded in Hershey’s kisses wrappers, lol.....he was fine, no worries. They sure keep ya on your toes!

7. OP
    OP
    BettaFishyLuvr

Ratings:
    +286
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Okay, thanks for reassuring me. I’ll try and raise the time i play with him. It’s just a challenge since my dog doesn’t like him, starts barking is Oscar moves around him lol he’s freaked out. I’ll look into having a vet look at him/her. I have actually been lookin for more toys for Oscar, and a bigger cage cuz space is always better if bigger.
    I heard they like toilet paper roles is this true? And if so r they safe?
    They definitely enjoy sleep, he sleeps all day when I’m at school and all night lol on the rare occasion he’s up for a few hours. I’ve heard about ferrets enjoying socks, he never played with them until i put it on my hand and rubbed his tummy. I love when they do ferret ear dance, they r such characters. Mine only does that if he’s in the mood to play tho lol. The only think i don’t like about them is the fact that they stink. So. Much. Lol

8. WTFish?

Ratings:
    +3,038
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Cardboard rolls are fine, mostly they just destroy them....I would take away if he’s actually eating it though. Mine loves balls, any balls, big or small. Check craigslist or your local yard sale pages for used cages, I seem to always see cages. Lol, multi level is always awesome...
    And that musk smell is awesome! Not stinky! Haha. You’ll get used to it....if it’s over the top gross and smelly then you may in fact have an unaltered male:)

9. OP
    OP
    BettaFishyLuvr

Ratings:
    +286
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

Become a Fishlore Member