Ferret Cage Opinions?

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by Gonoli, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Gonoli

GonoliValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    3 years
    i have been highly considering getting a ferret i have done tons of research and i even had one before, but he free roamed my apartment and i want another but i cant really ferret proof my house for one because of all my aquariums and reptiles i will probably need a cage for one while im out of the house and was wondering if i could possibly use a large dog crate as a cage for one.
    it would obviously still have hammocks and such but is this a possibility? if not i can still get one but i have a large dog crate at the ready and thought why not.
    and it would only be for 1 ferret i know some people say they should be in groups but from my experience they do just fine by themselves as long as they have someone to keep them happy

all opinions are welcome i just wamt to find out if this will be okay as a permanent home or maybe even a temporary one

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    I really really really don’t advise keeping them alone. Yes they won’t die if they’re alone, but it’s been beyond proven that when in pairs or more, they live longer, are more active, and less prone to disease. I large dog crate would be fine, just make sure the bottom is covered from the bars so they cant hurt themselves.

3. FerretsLover

FerretsLoverValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +151
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well dog cage is actually bad for one reason : the space between the bars. They get stuck and Lord knows they will escape. That's why ferrets cages are made with smaller space between the bars, they are escape artists...

And also, 2 is easier to care for because they play together and that way you skip most of the bitting part when they are younger, and females are more agressive and territorials than boys, so if you adopt them for differents place/time i will get both sex, or 2 sisters so you know they get along. You would still have to change the litter box and water and food daily, so 1 or 2.. just more poop!!

I've been a crazy ferret lady for the past 9 years, and i'm still the proud mommy of 4, 2 boys 2 girls, encounter every health/comportement issue with them you could imagine, so feel free to ask me anything ❤

Oh and for the tanks and reptile, has long as there is no 'way' for them to get to it, don't worry. They are carnivorus little snake fluff and they don't chew on electric cords, but if they find a way to get IN watch out for the mess ! Currently have a 20long in the living room, 10gal in the bedroom, and so far so good, no way for them to get to it. Sometimes i let them watch the fishies in my arms ❤

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    Gonoli

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    3 years
    okay so i will look into putting my saving money for a better cage than a dog crate, and i wasnt so worried about them chewing the wires i was worried about it getting suck behind my shelving unit amd unplugging or knocking over heat lamps and such,
    and if it really isn't much more than having one i suppose i could get another

and what would i be expecting from younger ferrets? my ferret i had before was diabetic and blind in one eye so he was alot slower and not as bouncy as i see other ones from videos i have never had younger ferrets amd it seems those are everywhere when you look for some to buy and such, i was planning to adopt but there are no adoption agency's near me... rip, but if i can find older ones definitely getting those

5. FerretsLover

FerretsLoverValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +151
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes knocking lamps will be a concern or them burning themselves i forgot that reptiles have lamps over their cages! Are you cage high enough with no way of them getting there? The only way to know i spend an entire evening with your ferrets looking at what they do and what's their 'plans' so you could ferret-proof the area.
    Depens on the ferret actually, girls are always crazy, (dook in peace) my Plushie used to be crazy even when she was 7, Feather is still a crazy white thing at 5, and my youngest thag i just adopted (2years) is aaaaall over the place. My boys where always pretty laidback, and at 5 too now all they want is cuddles and to be touched.
    A good cage is the greatest investment for them, and may i ask where do you live? I'm also in a huge ferret community so maybe i could help you find a shelter ❤

6. OP
    OP
    Gonoli

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    3 years
    i live in enid oklahoma, but i think i will have to drive to okc anyway if i was to get one. so im willing to go that far and some of the lamps are high enough but i feel like they would be able to climb up and such. i also have some tanks on the floor too (i have alot of reptiles ) and i think i will look into getting 1 girl and 1 boy or 2 boys and thank you so much! i looked around for hours yesterday but really couldnt find anything i wish u luck maybe theres one that just isnt as public

7. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    I want ferrets again, they’re just so hilarious. I call them limo rats lol.

8. OP
    OP
    Gonoli

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    3 years
    omg limo rats, i love that lol

9. Kathryn Crook

Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,205
    Experience:
    3 years
    At one time, I had 4 ferrets, but down to 2, in time. A basic “ferret cage” (mine had two levels) worked fine. I think they need to be raised from their “pooping place”.

10. Annie59

Annie59Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +578
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My favorite cage is the ferret nation cage, double one. They have lots of room to play on days they can't be out.

As for the sexes, I have not see any differences in the behavior at all. All the ones I have had were pretty much the same. I love ferrets, they make me laugh lol.

My first ferret, GooberHooverPea was kept alone. He did fine. I did play with him a lot though. He was out every day and had my cat to play with :) He lived to be 7. They do like company, but they can and do live alone if you mess with them a LOT.

11. OP
    OP
    Gonoli

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    3 years
    i do love the ferret nation cage but its quite pricey Is there any other ones like it but cheaper? if not i can try to get one because i really do want to get them good stuff but i would just just like to save some money
    and what paste treats do you use and what toys do you use i was just going to get a bunch of cat and dog toys but of theres any toys your ferrets seem to adore let me know!

12. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,147
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Have you tried craigslist? (if you are in the US)
    We got a full sized multilevel ferret nation cage with 2 young ferrets for $200. Two ferrets from the store cost more than $200 alone. So The cage was essentially free.

People sell them without the ferrets too of course. So I suggest looking for a gently used one. Maybe you will get lucky!

13. OP
    OP
    Gonoli

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    3 years
    ooo i haven't thought about Craigslist for ferrets i go there all the time looking at aquarium and reptile stuff! haha ill definitely check it out thanks!!

14. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,147
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Look in the community section in addition to the "for sale" section. A lot of people put animals and animal stuff in the community section. Still at a cost of course.

15. OP
    OP
    Gonoli

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    3 years
    wow you were right i found a 3 story ferret nation cage for only $200! it has been lightly used and looks in great condition! thanks

16. Tinytail

TinytailValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    Just started
    I second Craigslist! I don’t have ferrets but I have rats. I LOVE my double critter nation. I bought mine new one half at a time from Drs. Foster and Smith but I haven’t seen an amazing deal on them since. Craigslist on the other hand I peruse obsessively (cause I don’t use real social media lol). There’s often people moving or who had no idea what taking care of their pet would entail and they’ll give you the whole kit and caboodle for $200 or less. Sometimes free!!! Worth waiting for provided your comfortable using Craigslist in your area.

17. bettafanatic

bettafanaticWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +151
    I wouldn't use a dog cage as the bars are too spaced out. Walmart.com has a 5 tower ferret cage for $90. That's what I got for my guy.

18. TheMadScientist

TheMadScientistValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +142
    Experience:
    1 year
    I keep my pair in a double critter nation .They seem to like that

Become a Fishlore Member