ferret ages?

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by Crazycatfishlady, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Crazycatfishlady

CrazycatfishladyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    How long on average do ferrets live? My ferret Creeper is 12, he's starting to slow down and we've noticed some problems eating dry food so we've been softening it, and he's been sleeping more.

2. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Creeper is an elderly fellow. Most ferrets will live to be around 10 yrs old when well cared for. You must be doing a great job with him, keep softening the food, make sure he's on a good ferret diet, not cat food and keep an eye on his overall condition.

He's obviously been well cared for and well loved to be still enjoying his life with you.

3. OP
    OP
    Crazycatfishlady

CrazycatfishladyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Wow! So he's really up there huh? He is very loved, he use to be a "free roam ferret" when I was younger, he was allowed to go anywhere in my room and he had litter boxes all over lol now he only gets to come out for 4-6 hours a day and he hates that. We've never had to watch him super close or anything, he never chews cords or eats stuff he isn't suppose to. We just block off the kitchen and laundry room so he doesn't get under anything. he's the best ferret ever :) Guess its time to really start spoiling him!

4. Chard56

Chard56Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I had two ferrets once before and they lived to be 10 and 11 years old. The one I have now is around 3. I lost his "Blonde" sister last year. I believe she was much older than I was told. She was losing her hair and then grew it all back the same color as the males so I can only assume someone had dyed her blond to be able to sell her. (Stupid people) I always knew when their time was up when they lost the feeling in their back legs and soiled themselves not being able to get out of their towel they slept in. It is only a matter of a few days at that point. When that happens to yours you'll have to bath and clean them several times a day. They lose all bladder and bowel control. Wrap them in a clean towel and make them comfortable at bed time, give 'em a kiss cause you don't know when they'll go in their sleep.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  5. Garry

GarryNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    They get a grown on their lower spine causing them that loss of feeling...
    My ferret "Saber" got this condition when he was around 10-12 and all he could do was spin around (slowly) he ignored food and didn't sleep... So I had no choice but to get him put him down. :(...
    That was years ago.

We also had a cat that lived to 18 human years...

Basically... Well Loved pets live a lot longer than what the "average" age states.

So in answering your question, you won't really know since your doing a too fantastic job loving your pet!

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...

Become a Fishlore Member