Fern Turning Brown

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by ram4200, Jul 30, 2017.

1. ram4200

ram4200 Valued Member Member

20170730_172928.jpg my ferns are turning brown I dose with thrive once a week dont know what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated

2. THE HABITAT

THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

not 100% positive but it looks like diatoms...is the plant fairly new? A few of my plants did that in the beginning and i researched and found that oto cats love the stuff so i got a couple ( getting more cats soon ) and they had all my plants glowing in 2 days...unless its overdosing....

3. OP
    OP
    ram4200

I've had them for a few months

4. THE HABITAT

THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

the ferns or oto cats? i found that as soon as i put my oto cats in my tank they flew right to my plant leafs ( probably cuz the place i got em from they were starving....also may need to bite the bullet and cut the brown leaf off it will starve the rest of your plant or at least take some nutrients away from it

5. OP
    OP
    ram4200

6. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

How long do you leave on lights? Do you use Excel or any other CO2 substitute (or CO2 itself)?

7. OP
    OP
    ram4200

I use diy co2 and 12 hours

8. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

It might be low CO2 levels then. Either that, or you're using too much light in proportion to CO2. You could try lowering photoperiod to 10 hours to start...

I don't have experience with CO2 though, so you should wait until someone else chimes in. :)

9. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Could you post a whole tank shot and a whole plant shot?

10. OP
    OP
    ram4200

Yeah as soon as I get out of work

11. OP
    OP
    ram4200

12. J

Thanks! So, a few questions
    How long have you been dosing thrive for? The duration of the few months you've had, or recent? What were you dosing before?
    How long have you been using co2?
    Is there any new growth? How does that look?
    When did you first notice their decline?
    Have you ever changed temperatures with it?
    Have you ever treated it for any algae? How?

13. OP
    OP
    ram4200

I've been dosing thrive for a few months it says on the bottle 3 times a week but I only do one before that I was doing API lead zone but not long I've been using CO2 for about 4 months I've noticed there decline in the last month. Never changed tempertures but it may have got a little warmer due to it being summer and humid. Never treated for algae.

14. J

One more question... what lighting do you have? (Brand, temp, etc)

Also....is there any new growth on the ferns? Can you get a pic of it?

15. OP
    OP
    ram4200

I have a t8 aqueon plant bulb and 2 t5's one is a coralife 6700k and the other is just a t5 6500k

16. OP
    OP
    ram4200

I haven't really seen new growth some is still green, im not at my house right now

17. OP
    OP
    ram4200

There's no new growth

18. J

Strange... I was hoping one of your answers would provide the info I was looking for, but everything you are doing looks fine.

My possibilities before your answers
    Old leaves on ferns that die off do look exactly like that, but it's usually one or maybe two leaves at a time....yours is a bit more then that.

I've had ferns react that way when I added them from a heated to unheated, and vice versa, but that usually shows up in about two weeks...this took longer then that...
    Ive also has ferns react to excel until they adjust, but I haven't noticed any reactions to co2.

Possible suggestions- increase thrive to twice a week. I use led lighting so t8s/t5s are foreign to me... but with your lighting you may need more ferts... if you post a whole tank shot it may be helpful to see what other plants in there are to use the increased ferts.
    Other option would be to move the fern to a slightly more shaded location.

Best guess is that with the co2, light nutrient dosing, and decent lighting the plant doesn't have enough nutrients to support itself...would make sense if another plant was outcompeting it for the nutrients available.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice