?? Female??

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by critter_fritter79, Apr 1, 2010.

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I found these at a store where I went to rehome my oscar. They were trying to come out of their cups to get to each other and the male next to one of them... I searched for an hour looking for an egg tube on both of them and couldn't find a trace of one. They have some serious attitude and I have to admit I have never seen a female that wants to fight so badly with its neighbors... I also have a video of these 2 going at each other...well trying to through the glass...but these are the best pics I could get.

I went ahead and bought them mainly because...well I liked them...plus I didn't want some unknowing person getting it in their heads that they want to breed bettas and inadvertently put a short tailed male in with a long tailed male... Do these look female to any of you???

Attached Files:

2. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Those are young PK males Critter......

3. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I KNEW IT!! I tried to tell the lady working there that she had several pk males labeled as females but she got really snotty with me and said "We don't label them, we just sell them so whatever!" There were 3 more I was sure were male besides these 2, but I have the other 3 Thai fish coming so I don't have room for any more but these 2. I swore up and down to anyone that would listen that these were NOT females, but no one would listen! I am so glad to know I didn't getupset for nothing. I am SO calling that store tomorrow!

On different note, what do you think of them as breeders? I only have 1 pk "pair" and 2 extra pk females, but I don't know much about the pk's...

EDIT: I am not set on breeding these, like I said, I bought them because I had room for 2 more and my heart couldn't let me leave them to be killed by someone trying to breed them to another male...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. Martinismommy

I'm not a PK breeder and the only PK's I really like ate HMPK's like this male I bred so I'm the wrong person to ask lol.....

They look like traditional PK's.....Not sure what you could do with the red wash.....

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

WOW! That guy is NICE! I knew they weren't hmpk's, but their finnage looks very much like the traditional pk male I have... I decided not to wait til tomorrow to call that store. I just got done talking to the manager. I told him I had suspected then had my suspicions confirmed. I told him there were a few more still there and that he really needed to check them out and look for some egg spots! In a regular female, are the vents that much longer than the anal fin, or is that also a male thing?

6. Martinismommy

Traditional PK's are supposed to have VERY long ventrals....These males are young......I'd go to the IBC website and read the srandard.....I just don't know enough about PK's to give you advice....The only PK's I have ever had just showed up in my HM lines...They kicked booty in the shows though so they must have been nice....I sold them all because I have no desire to breed PK's ever....

7. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I really like them but my "bag" is the traditionals...the reason I was asking about the fins is other than looking for an egg spot, I was trying to find some way to tell this guy how to tell female from pk male...

8. Martinismommy

Go in and show him who the males are.....Shouldn't be that hard to tell.....

9. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I thought about that...but it is quite a drive..almost 2 hours. I tried to tell him which cups they were and he said he would check for the egg spots but I think I just might head over there tomorrow...

10. Martinismommy

90% of people buying Betta fish at pet stores are not going to use them for breeding so even if you don't get down there I'm sure the fish will be fine.....

11. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

I can't give any advice but I *love* those guys! Esp the dark bodied one.

12. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful new Bettas Critter!
    Ken

13. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

They're beautiful, critter! I love their colors.

14. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

they are a couple of little spit fires thats for sure! They are in their own 2 gallon containers, but I think I am going to have to move them around on the shelf...they are so busy showing off and flaring at each other that they won't even take time out to eat!

15. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

That's too funny!

16. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

What I'd be worried about is someone trying to put these guys into a sorority. I know a lot of people on here don't necessarily approve of sororities, but a lot of LFS (and even some Petsmarts and Petcos) tell people that sororities are fine. I know of at least two people who work at the Petsmart in my town and one of the LFS owners who have sororities. Anyway, I'd hate to see what would happen if someone who didn't know any better bought these lovely boys and tried to put them in a sorority. *shudders* Just my :;2cents though!

17. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great lookin kids!!! I am a fan of the plaks :) they just look like tough bulldogs to me LOL
    the petsmarts and petcos I go to dont recommend sororities on this end of the states...some havent even heard of them........and most likely the stores arent going to listen anyhoo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice