Female Swordtail Possibly Pregnant? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by rskogl2, Apr 9, 2019.

1. rskogl2New MemberMember

Hello,
    My first time posting here and I am trying to figure out what is happening with my female swordtail. She seems to be eating fine and I have had her for about 2 weeks, but she recently has been hiding near the back bottom of the tank. I don't have much experience with livebearers or fish breeding.

My parameters using API test kit are:
    30 Gallon Tank W/ AQ50 & Topfin Silentstream 30 HOB Filters
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 20 PPM
    Temp: 75.7 F

Tanks Mates include:
    (2) Nerite Snails
    (4) Amano Shrimp
    (6) Male Guppy
    (2) Female Swordtail
    (1) Male Red-Eye Lyretail Swordtail
    (1) WCMM (I know they need a school he is a holdover from a previous tank)
    (1) Harlequin Rasbora (I know it needs a school, got from a friend that recently moved)

2. rskogl2New MemberMember

3. rskogl2New MemberMember

4. Sergeant PepperWell Known MemberMember

I've been keeping Swordtails for a while now. They are like any livebearing species. If they are kept with a male, they are basically always pregnant. However, I've read that lyretails have a hard time with breeding as their organ is deformed? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've never had success with them. I have a few male swordtails with some females and they are always popping out babies. They will eat them though often.
    So if you intend to keep babies, I would seperate them or provide a bunch of places to hide for them. I would also recommend the longterm plan for if you keep babies.
    I love swordtails over all the other livebearing species.
    Word of warning though, males are relentless. They will harass females.

Yours doesn't look to pregnant to me if she is.

5. rskogl2New MemberMember

0E52A117-64E8-43F1-A9D7-6B030DB44163.jpeg
    Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the info. I don’t plan on breeding them but I have heard they can be pregnant for years after they have been in contact with a male. I believe you’re right that the male lyretail can not reproduce. Is it typical for a swordtail to rest near the bottom of the tank? I have added a picture of my lyretail male.

6. Sergeant PepperWell Known MemberMember

Mine are very active and I've never really seen them rest on the substrate or anything really. The male could be stressing her. The male guppies could as well, as they will TRY to breed anything even remotely female that they can catch.

7. rskogl2New MemberMember

Hmm...I have another female swordtail and she is very active and all over the tank and never seems bothered by any of the males. But you could be right I guess I will have to monitor her and see if she seems overly stressed. Thanks for the assistance!

8. rskogl2New MemberMember

Updated: The Female Swordtail just gave birth so I guess that answers that question!