Female swordtail or male short-finned molly?

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hi all

I've just asked this as a side-question to another string, but I'd like to get everyone's opinion on this one.

Here's my question about my molly: Is it a female with a gonopodium-like analfin, or is it a male with a particularly broad and short dorsal fin? When I look at other short-finned mollies, their dorsal fins are equally not high, but they are also very narrow in comparison to my fish.

Any thoughts?

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
That fish looks like a male to me.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Yes, to me too, but I'd like to see a picture of a male short-finned moly to be sure. It's obviously not a male swordtail (no sword), or sailfin (no sail). Common moly males' dorsal fins are much more narrow, whereas the dorsal fin of that molly runs pretty much along the whole back.

So it's a male, but what kind of molly then? Slightly confused. Am guessing it's a hybrid between swordtail and common.

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
My guess is a male gold platy- what a lovely fish!!!

--R

45.jpg

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Nice fish, Radcliffe! I don't think mine is a platy, though, given its size/robust build. It also has a more elongated body shape than platys, and the dorsal fin still eludes me as it's also very narrow on platies. Mystery fish!

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hee hee, google image search is my friend :)

You have a point with the elongation- my new guess (ha!) is a male Molly with gold platy coloring. It would be an even rarer fish than a gold platy :-D I am certain about the male bit, as I have several myself. There is a chance it is a male swordtail who just hasn't grown in his sword yet- I know those are a late development but I do not know the age of your new cutie.

--R

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I spent like hours on Google image. It's really funny to see fish that are not even livebearers when you type molly fish. Also found out it's a dish! I was distractedly reading the legend next to the picture and it said: 'cut the fish in two', etc.'. I HAD to click!

He does look amazingly like a swordtail to me too. My theory is either he's a late developer, or he's a hybrid.

No doubt over his gender anymore at least, as he's turned into a serial rapist since I had to crank up my temperature for a problem we've got (I created another string for that). I now have 2 males and 3 females, instead of 1 male and his harem. Ouch! Trip to the fish store ahead.

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you definitely have a boy there, lol. Spike, my male platy, gave my two new female platys so much grief that he is back in the small tank with the Mollys. He will have to settle for looking longingly at the tank next door for a while!

:)

It is possible that as your mystery fish grows up it will be more clear on the type- no matter what he is a beauty

--R

Jacko

Valued Member
Reaction score
To me it seems as though it is a male molly of some albino strain, could possibly be a hybrid between swordtail and molly.

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Now that you say that I definately think it is albino strain.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Yes, I definitely wonder about the swordtail and the albino. Here's another theory, mix between both your theories: it's a hybrid swordtail platty - albino molly. Would be really cool to get fry from him and see what turns out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom