Female Swordtail acting strange?

• Thread starter Lolster
  • Start date

Lolster

HI everyone!
My female swordtail has been acting strange for a few days now ( not really eating, floating in one spot, resting a lot on stuff). also, she is pooping a clear/white. since I have a male, its possible that shes pregnant, since sh also does seem to have a spot and a slightly enlarged belly. are these symptoms of pregnancy or is she sick with parasites or something? ive had her for about a month, most recently added fish was about 2 weeks ago, male betta.
ammo:0
nitrates: 7
nitrites: 0
pH: 7.1
temp: 80

ayelie

Well Known
It sounds more like stress. Bettas are not really good for a community tank. Battas should be in a tank by themselves. He will pick at other fish. It could be that she is afraid of him and this is stressing her out. If you have another tank where you could put the betta that might help things.

bass master

Well Known
Welcome to fishlore lolster, hopefully we can help you out here

I wouldnt say bettas are always gonna pick at other fish, I have multiple times kept bettas successfully in community tanks, not that I recommend it, too many things often go wrong, I just don't believe that it always will be a problem. If anything is stressing her out I would say its more likely the male sword being kept with only one female.

The white poop makes me think internal parasite, I actually just finished curing my tank of some parasite (probably skin/gill flukes) brought on by a new fish. The worst affected was the female sword that I believed brought in the parasites. She was flashing, pooping clear/white, and seemed to waste away. It did spread to some of my other fish, but it slowly went away with good water conditions and a low stress enviroment.

By spot, do you mean a gravid spot, or more like a small white spot? For now I would just keep an eye on things to see if things get worse or better.

Lolster

Thanks for the advice!
she`s a really light colored fish, almost translucent with an orange tint, and since I'm new to this I'm not quite sure what the gravid spot looks like, but I read that in lighter fish the spot may be a pinkish color instead of dark. she has a pinkish `blob` between her stomach and her tail, and since shes been with the male a while, I'm thinking she may be pregs.

is it harmful to my tank if I medicate the whole thing for parasites? ( in terms of the ben. bacteria and other fish)

as for the betta, he leaves the other fish alone and is left alone by them. for the time being he is out being cured for fin rot though.

bass master

Well Known
Sounds like a gravid spot to me, I wouldnt worry about it

what are you keeping the betta in currently? The most important thing to curing fish is clean water and low stress, this will cure 90% of fish disease IMO, fin rot is one of those diseases easily cured by clean water in most cases. Moving fish around is often unnecessary if you ask me, you can further stress the fish and when you transfer fish to a less established aquarium. You can expose them to less than pristine water conditions and the sudden change in water conditions may stress them as well.

It will be harmful to medicate, ive never had a problem with BB dying with medication, but medication is often harsh on the fish's systems and very easily can make things worse. Only medicate if you absolutely have to, right now I would not recommend it

Lolster

The betta was in a 1 gallon jar, not ideal I know, but I don't have space for a second full tank. his fins are doing super good now, and I think he had some fin rot when I bought him because his fins are bigger now than before lol. I made sure to keep that water super clean and changed a lot of it everyday, but he's back in his lovely tank now

my female swordtail however is still not eating, and getting pretty pale... hopefully she pulls through, but I suppose next time I'll get some more females to grab some of the males attention.

Lolster

Just a quick update.... the female swordtail is totally normal again some time really did her well!

bass master

Well Known
great to hear! glad your fish are feeling better

fishyfishyfishy13

Well Known
Lolster said:
Just a quick update.... the female swordtail is totally normal again some time really did her well!
watch out she sounds like she might have given birth, if your lucky you might have a couple survivors

o and if the betta is doing fine with the other fish I would leave him in the aquarium... I hear they do a lot better in one

Top Bottom