female platy ramming females

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by wonton55912, Apr 1, 2010.

1. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

my female platy is ramming into all of my female livebearers. she also nips. the platy the male guppies like is protected. they block the ramming. any idea why this is happening?

2. R

Rhan Well Known Member Member

I think you're a bit overstocked, so it wouldn't suprise me if the aggression is due to this.

That's just a guess, but I reckon it is likely to at least be a contributing factor.

Have you only just recently noticed this behaviour?

3. OP
    OP
    w

she started this right after she had her fry. i may be slightly overstocked but my water parameters are fine.

4. R

Overstocking doesn't always cause water problems, but I'm just thinking that perhaps there is simply not enough territory in the tank for everyone to get along.

Have you tried moving the deco around?

5. OP
    OP
    w

no i havent but actually ever since i put her only living fry in the breeder net, she has been guarding the net and picking at the food in the net. :;ot can fry half the size of adults guard newborn fry?

6. R

It sounds like aggression over the food in the net to me, I had a neon blue gourami who I had to take back to my LFS because he guarded the fry net to the point where no fish could go near the front of the tank :(

I don't really know how to help you here, sorry :( I don't know whether moving the breeder net will work, but it could be worth a shot, even if it's only a temporary fix. Someone else should come by here and be able to help.

I haven't ever heard of older fry guarding newborn fry.... But maybe someone else has.

7. ranga97

ranga97 Well Known Member Member

I used to have this happen to me.
    Mine became so bad that she actually ripped half of the others scales off:(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice