Female Pearl Gourami harassing my Rams

LaurieCory
Hi. I have one female Pearl Gourami in a 40 gallon planted aquarium along with 2 Bolivian Rams and 6 Black Neon Tetras (just added the tetras who were in quarantine). I added the Gourami to the tank 3+ weeks ago and initially thought it was cute that she was hanging out and swimming with the Rams and eating with them as well (first ate some food at the top, but would swim down to the bottom to feed with her “friends.”) Well, she’s become a bully and is now chasing after the Rams quite aggressively during feeding time and some time after as she scavenges for more food at the bottom. She’s decided to be the tank boss. She is the biggest fish in there.

I was considering maybe adding another Gourami or two to see if that will help. It could make things worse if the other Gourami(s) also chase after the Rams, or better if my female spends more time with the other Gouramis. I imagine having 3 Gouramis would be better (two females and one male) than two, but it’s only a 40 gallon tank and this type of Gourami can grow to 5 inches, I don’t know if adding two more would be too much for the tank. (I prefer to under stock.) If I add just one more Gourami, I don’t know if a female or male would be more likely to get along with my female. I suppose it will depend partly on the individual fish’s temperament.

If anyone has a similar experience and has suggestions, I’d love to hear them. Thank you, and sorry for the lengthy post.

CoryBoi
I’ve noticed they are very aggressive eaters, but are not threatened by smaller fish.

Amya
My Pearl Gourami is a huge jerk. He is totally antisocial with the other fish. He started to go after my new small Electric Blue Acara. He was mostly bluffing, will back down at the last minute. I've noticed his aggressiveness towards fish that move/swI'm like him. He has never paid any attention to my tetras or barbs. The Cichlid does swim similarly, so my theory is that is why the Gourami went at him. My Gourami has now returned to his normal stick-in-the-mud/ avoid everyone behavior.
I would give it a week. They may establish their own areas of the tank.
Here he is feeling sorry for himself
20200202_192716.jpg

CoryBoi
My Pearl Gourami is a huge jerk. He is totally antisocial with the other fish. He started to go after my new small Electric Blue Acara. He was mostly bluffing, will back down at the last minute. I've noticed his aggressiveness towards fish that move/swI'm like him. He has never paid any attention to my tetras or barbs. The Cichlid does swim similarly, so my theory is that is why the Gourami went at him. My Gourami has now returned to his normal stick-in-the-mud/ avoid everyone behavior.

If you add 2 females he will start being more active and outgoing, they really are better in groups.

LaurieCory
This is great feedback, Amya. Thank you, and for the photo of your handsome Gourami. I always laugh when people call their fish jerks and such. I was doing the same earlier when mine was acting like a... you know. :0)

jinjerJOSH22
Hi. I have one female Pearl Gourami in a 40 gallon planted aquarium along with 2 Bolivian Rams and 6 Black Neon Tetras (just added the tetras who were in quarantine). I added the Gourami to the tank 3+ weeks ago and initially thought it was cute that she was hanging out and swimming with the Rams and eating with them as well (first ate some food at the top, but would swim down to the bottom to feed with her “friends.”) Well, she’s become a bully and is now chasing after the Rams quite aggressively during feeding time and some time after as she scavenges for more food at the bottom. She’s decided to be the tank boss. She is the biggest fish in there.

I was considering maybe adding another Gourami or two to see if that will help. It could make things worse if the other Gourami(s) also chase after the Rams, or better if my female spends more time with the other Gouramis. I imagine having 3 Gouramis would be better (two females and one male) than two, but it’s only a 40 gallon tank and this type of Gourami can grow to 5 inches, I don’t know if adding two more would be too much for the tank. (I prefer to under stock.) If I add just one more Gourami, I don’t know if a female or male would be more likely to get along with my female. I suppose it will depend partly on the individual fish’s temperament.

If anyone has a similar experience and has suggestions, I’d love to hear them. Thank you, and sorry for the lengthy post.
Three Pearls would be fine in a 40 imo and I would encourage keeping multiple as they are social.
While mine are not pushy with other tank mates they are quite pushy among themselves during feeding both males and females.
Do you have a picture?

LaurieCory
Three Pearls would be fine in a 40 imo and I would encourage keeping multiple as they are social.
While mine are not pushy with other tank mates they are quite pushy among themselves during feeding both males and females.
Do you have a picture?
Thanks for responding to my post. I’ll consider adding a few more Gouramis if mine becomes more aggressive. I rearranged the area of the tank where I’ve been feeding the Rams before feeding tonight to see if that helped. Also spread out their food a bit, and gave her more food when she was at the top of the tank before she headed down to the bottom. She seemed to be somewhat less aggressive, but maybe I was imagining that. She seems to have an insatiable appetite. Are your Gouramis also piggies? I don’t want to over feed, but I wonder if I’m under feeding.
Anyway... I attached a photo of “Gigi.” There’s a lot of stuff floating in the water since I was rearranging decor earlier. Do you have photos of yours? Thanks again.

Attachments

• 872CFC8E-C714-44B0-862A-E0D8F4F58E88.jpeg
    872CFC8E-C714-44B0-862A-E0D8F4F58E88.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 126
ProudPapa
I have a male and two female pearls in a 40 gallon breeder and it's worked well so far.

LaurieCory
I have a male and two female pearls in a 40 gallon breeder and it's worked well so far.
That’s good to hear. Do you have other fish in your 40 other than the pearls?

ProudPapa
That’s good to hear. Do you have other fish in your 40 other than the pearls?

Yes. You can click on "Aquarium Details" near my user name to see the rest of the inhabitants.

LaurieCory
Yes. You can click on "Aquarium Details" near my user name to see the rest of the inhabitants.
Yes, thank you. I forgot to look there! Take care.

jinjerJOSH22
Thanks for responding to my post. I’ll consider adding a few more Gouramis if mine becomes more aggressive. I rearranged the area of the tank where I’ve been feeding the Rams before feeding tonight to see if that helped. Also spread out their food a bit, and gave her more food when she was at the top of the tank before she headed down to the bottom. She seemed to be somewhat less aggressive, but maybe I was imagining that. She seems to have an insatiable appetite. Are your Gouramis also piggies? I don’t want to over feed, but I wonder if I’m under feeding.
Anyway... I attached a photo of “Gigi.” There’s a lot of stuff floating in the water since I was rearranging decor earlier. Do you have photos of yours? Thanks again.
I do, but sorry to break it to you but yours is actually a male

3667F53C-CA63-4733-BC4E-E38D81965348.jpeg
AB66E6B4-97FF-4EFB-9DE3-1DA68B241A3C.jpeg

LaurieCory
I do, but sorry to break it to you but yours is actually a male

Lol. I was told at the store the he was a she. Mistakes happen... Is it the dorsal fin in particular that you’re looking at? It looked more rounded than angular when I got her/him, but it seems to have either been nipped or maybe he caught it on something, not sure. Conditions in the tank are good, so I don’t think it’s fin rot. Also, females also have reddish bellies, right? I guess not as pronounced as males, especially when breeding, or so I’ve read. You know more about them, so I appreciate your input snd it’s important that I know “Gigi’s” gender if I end up getting another gourami or two, so thanks again, and thanks for sending the pics. Pretty fish!

jinjerJOSH22
Lol. I was told at the store the he was a she. Mistakes happen... Is it the dorsal fin in particular that you’re looking at? It looked more rounded than angular when I got her/him, but it seems to have either been nipped or maybe he caught it on something, not sure. Conditions in the tank are good, so I don’t think it’s fin rot. Also, females also have reddish bellies, right? I guess not as pronounced as males, especially when breeding, or so I’ve read. You know more about them, so I appreciate your input snd it’s important that I know “Gigi’s” gender if I end up getting another gourami or two, so thanks again, and thanks for sending the pics. Pretty fish!
They can be a little tough to tell when they are young (which they usually are in store) but the female will never have the orange on the throat like my male shows. Females are silvery on the throat and have a bit of orange on the analfin. The dorsal is also a tell, don't worry it's not fin rot, it's the shape of a young males

LaurieCory
They can be a little tough to tell when they are young (which they usually are in store) but the female will never have the orange on the throat like my male shows. Females are silvery on the throat and have a bit of orange on the analfin. The dorsal is also a tell, don't worry it's not fin rot, it's the shape of a young males
You’ve been so helpful, thanks yet again. Guess I’ll have to think of a more gender appropriate name. Then again, he’ll never know and we do live in modern times, so GigI it is. I just thought of one other question, if you don’t mind. Have your Gouramis bred successfully in your tank? The bubble nests seem interesting...

jinjerJOSH22
You’ve been so helpful, thanks yet again. Guess I’ll have to think of a more gender appropriate name. Then again, he’ll never know and we do live in modern times, so GigI it is. I just thought of one other question, if you don’t mind. Have your Gouramis bred successfully in your tank? The bubble nests seem interesting...
Nope, my Three Spot male has been making a nest over the last few weeks but if you want to successfully breed them a separate setup is better with conditions more suitable for breeding. If it's something your worried about, I wouldn't

I'd keep the name or spell it "Jiji" which roughly means "Old man" or "Grandfather" in Japanese

No problem, I love talking about Gourami

LaurieCory
Nope, my Three Spot male has been making a nest over the last few weeks but if you want to successfully breed them a separate setup is better with conditions more suitable for breeding. If it's something your worried about, I wouldn't

I'd keep the name or spell it "Jiji" which roughly means "Old man" or "Grandfather" in Japanese

No problem, I love talking about Gourami
Jiji! Great idea. Hopefully he’ll grow old to suit his name. Good to know about the breeding. At least I now know I have a male. Now, if my two rams were as easy. Still can’t determine their genders, but that’s another conversation... Thank you.

jinjerJOSH22
Jiji! Great idea. Hopefully he’ll grow old to suit his name. Good to know about the breeding. At least I now know I have a male. Now, if my two rams were as easy. Still can’t determine their genders, but that’s another conversation... Thank you.
If you post a picture of the Rams in question, I'll @ a couple of people that might be able to help if you want?

LaurieCory
If you post a picture of the Rams in question, I'll @ a couple of people that might be able to help if you want?
Oh, thanks for offering to help with that. I’m including one of each plus one of them together. I refer to them as “The Bickersons” since they flare up at one another and lip lock, but get along well enough otherwise.

Attachments

• 3250620C-C668-4A01-8178-7BD791F8C448.jpeg
    3250620C-C668-4A01-8178-7BD791F8C448.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 147
  • A1057665-CFBE-4639-BE3D-915C21E1041A.jpeg
    A1057665-CFBE-4639-BE3D-915C21E1041A.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 9C253293-6FD1-4E79-A2C7-57C09C765F21.jpeg
    9C253293-6FD1-4E79-A2C7-57C09C765F21.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 141
jinjerJOSH22
Ok I'll leave it to the people who know Rams now
Feohw FinalFins

ProudPapa
Feohw FinalFins

I'm sure coralbandit could help with that too.

coralbandit
I am learning the Bolivians so I like to get to embarrass myself before Feohw gets here and say 2 females ..
The head almost leads to the thought they could be a pair [the eyes mostly ] but the fins just look too much the same ..
Females .

jinjerJOSH22
My guess would be, single dot is male and double dot is female.
I have no experience with Rams but i've read/heard there's a difference in "chins" males are flatter and females are more rounded. This is purely a guess.

coralbandit
Closer look at pic 3 looks like camalanus worms exposed in the fish vent ?

639240-84e9ee90d1a274e984fa76945980668f.jpg
When was you latest new fish ?

Feohw
Two females. They have smoother heads without a bump, and their fins aren't very developed (in relation to males I mean). I believe I said they were two females 3 (?) months ago and in that time they haven't developed any prominent masculine features. You could argue that the ram with a single spot is a male as it certainly does have more of a masculine belly to it (I believe I noted that in the past also). But I'd say female, unless we see the tube and it proves otherwise, as her fins and head are quite feminine. She looks just as she did 3 months ago though.
I am learning the Bolivians so I like to get to embarrass myself before @Feohw gets here and say 2 females ..
You've gone from "I can't sex Bolivians" to getting them right every time I've seen you do so. No embarrassment involved

Splaker
I had 3 dwarf gourami... I found them aggressive toward each other not other fish so much... Not a big fan of them and got rid of two of them to make way for other fish.

FinalFins
To me, double spot looks female and soe does single spot. But single spot looks sorta male but for the most part female.

jinjerJOSH22
I had 3 dwarf gourami... I found them aggressive toward each other not other fish so much... Not a big fan of them and got rid of two of them to make way for other fish.
Normal for that species males. Pearls are typically better behaved but the males can be jerks at times

LaurieCory
Feohw FinalFins
Thanks!

To me, double spot looks female and soe does single spot. But single spot looks sorta male but for the most part female.
Lol. It really is a guessing game. Had hoped they would be opposite genders and breed, but I don’t see that happening. Thank you for your feedback.

Amya
Good catch! I see that too, definitely camalanus worms. I would treat the tank asap.

639240-84e9ee90d1a274e984fa76945980668f.jpg

LaurieCory
Closer look at pic 3 looks like camalanus worms exposed in the fish vent ?
View attachment 664546
When was you latest new fish ?
Thanks to all for your help with my Rams. The new fish (Tetras) were just added this week. I treated them with one dose of Prazipro in their quarantine tank last week. Wasn’t sure if they had anything (white poop), but did as a preventative measure. My rams often look like they’re pooping for as long as I remember, but I thought that was normal since they graze all day, but maybe it is the worms that you mentioned. I have General Cure and Prazipro on hand. Which would you recommend? I can’t use meds that harm plants and inverts. Thank you.

coralbandit
Levamisole HCI is needed to kill camalanus .
It doesn't care about your plants or inverts but it will kill all your fish faster then you can fix them if you wait ..

When I say kill your fish I mean all of them if you don't treat and kill the worm.
It takes two treatments 3 weeks apart since even the levamisole HCI will not kill the eggs ..3 weeks later you kill any that hatched ..
This is not a friendly worm you can dismiss..It deserves immediate attention ...
Camallanus Treatment - Use of Levamisole HCl

LaurieCory
Levamisole HCI is needed to kill camalanus .
It doesn't care about your plants or inverts but it will kill all your fish faster then you can fix them if you wait ..

When I say kill your fish I mean all of them if you don't treat and kill the worm.
It takes two treatments 3 weeks apart since even the levamisole HCI will not kill the eggs ..3 weeks later you kill any that hatched ..
This is not a friendly worm you can dismiss..It deserves immediate attention ...
Camallanus Treatment - Use of Levamisole HCl
Thanks so much for the info. I may have to order it online since not one of my local fish stores carries it. They’ve never even heard of it.

coralbandit
You will definitely have to order or go to a Tractor Supply type place .

The link to Charles info also has his sales info ..He will pre measure ..
I have some if you can't get any quick and ship every Monday .

LaurieCory
You will definitely have to order or go to a Tractor Supply type place .

The link to Charles info also has his sales info ..He will pre measure ..
I have some if you can't get any quick and ship every Monday .
Thanks for the link, Coralbandit.

LaurieCory
Good catch! I see that too, definitely camalanus worms. I would treat the tank asap.
Hi. Just wanted to thank you for noticing the Camallanus worms in my Rams. I finished with the first Levamasole treatment- no more worms coming out of them- and will wait two weeks (I think that is the recommended time?) and will do a second treatment.

Just a note that I first tried Fenbendazole in their food for three days since I could get hold of that med sooner than the Levamasole. I followed the dosage instructions (Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole) and it didn’t work. I’m generally not a huge fan of medicated food since I don’t know how much each fish is eating. Maybe if you just have a fish or two in the tank, it’s easier. Anyway, Just thought I’d mention my experience. Thanks again to all who chimed in on that thread.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AggressiveBill
Replies
Views
GouramisAreSuperior
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views