Female Pearl Gourami Aggression

StudentFishKeeper

Hello everyone,

I recently introduced a male Pearl Gourami along with 5 Black Skirt Tetras and 1 Angelfish into my 65 gallons. I had already had a larger female Pearl Gourami in the tank who would hide and was extremely shy. However, since the new introductions, she has put on a new personality, becoming a lot bossier and constantly chases the male Pearl Gourami around. Should I be worried? Can I do anything to help reduce the aggression? Also, the male Pearl Gourami won't eat either. I have tried flake food, pellets, and brine shrimp.

My current stocking consists of:
- 2 Pearl Gouramis
- 1 Angelfish
- 4 Giant Danios (Working on the school)
- 4 Glofish Danios (Working on the school)
- 5 Hi-fin Black Skirt Tetras
- 6 Cherry Barbs
- 2 Guppies

pixelhoot

I'd be a little concerned, yes, but nothing you can't solve. :> From my experience, I'd say this gourami is chasing him out of her territory. Something I can recommend is adding more hidey spots for both gouramis, though someone else would have to weigh in on if you can actually keep them together in the same tank due to behaviour.

StudentFishKeeper

I'd be a little concerned, yes, but nothing you can't solve. :> From my experience, I'd say this gourami is chasing him out of her territory. Something I can recommend is adding more hidey spots for both gouramis, though someone else would have to weigh in on if you can actually keep them together in the same tank due to behaviour.
That could be it as well. She has lived in the tank without any other gouramis for a while and probably thinks the entire tank is her territory.

richvalle

I've seen it recommended that when you add fish to move the decorations around as it re-breaks up the territory.

DoubleDutch

could you place a pic of both fish.

StudentFishKeeper

Unfortunately, the male Pearl Gourami passed away overnight. I separated it last night in one of those breeding boxes for aquariums and when I looked at the tank this morning he somehow jumped out of it and was dead on the aquarium substrate. It's sad to see him go, but I have learned my lesson and probably will not be adding another gourami soon. Everything else in the tank seems to be good now. Although the Angelfish does have a white dot on its fin, so I'm hoping it's not ich. Thank you all!

DoubleDutch

Personally I think (and have seen more) the female is an adult female ready to mate. When a juvenile male is added that's not ready to mate, the female can react annoyed. Still like to see a pic of the female.

Wobbegong

Very sad, Although I have thought of a solution to your problem, Maybe keeping a larger peaceful fish to keep the gourami in its place. also, did you have a funeral, I had one for two of my danios that died,

AllieSten

Sorry for your loss.

StudentFishKeeper

Thank you all! The female Pearl Gourami is usually quite shy and peaceful, so I was surprised when she attacked the male. I will probably grow out the male in another tank if I get another one. The Angelfish is growing quite fast as well and is even bigger than the female Pearl Gourami. I will try to get a picture of her, but no promises haha she moves around quite a bit which makes it hard.

hockeyguy6543

Hello,
I have a 29 gallon tank with some cardinal tetras, green cories, swordtails and a pair of pearl Gouramis. I got the swordtails and Gouramis 2 days ago, and I have noticed that the male sometimes chases the female around and they never swim around together. Thoughts?

DoubleDutch

Two possible causes :

Two gouramis put together aren't an instant couple.
Could be you've two (young) males that never will be a couple.

Could you place a pic of both?

hockeyguy6543

90DD11D3-2C28-4320-A144-82770903B7B2.jpeg
9BA91881-E63A-4D38-8D9C-0447902865A4.jpeg

DoubleDutch

Think the are male / female but the male is in matingmood and the female possibly isn't ready to do so. Give them some time (do they have hiding spots / plants / floaters)

hockeyguy6543

008DB058-CBB9-4AD7-BFAF-55E3AEEBF1DF.jpeg Idk this is tank layout

DoubleDutch

Ahhhh okay. Try to add some more plants and floaters to make them feel more at ease.
They live in densely planted systems.

hockeyguy6543

Update: There is a bubble nest in some floating plants and the male is being even more aggressive now. What do I do????

Berridge

Gouramis can be very territorial towards eachother. Since the male made a bubblenest, he is trying to breed with the female. He can harass her to the point where she is so stressed she is very vulnerable to disease, and can even die. Try lowering the temp to around 73-74 degrees, they breed in higher temperatures. You can remove the male if possible, but it should pass.

DylanM

Oof, this is why I stuck with a female pearl gourami. One of the prettiest females of the different gourami species in my opinion. Like DoubleDutch said you need to more densely plant the tank.

DoubleDutch

Agree, lowering the temp would be my advise as well !

BravetheBetta

when it comes to gouramis, I like either a single fish, or a male with 2-3 females. that way, the aggression can be spread around far more than just a one to one interaction good luck!

I definitely do agree with planting the tank far heavier, though. break up that line of sight!

hockeyguy6543

Hello,
I have had this pair of pearl gourami for about 2 months. This has been an ongoing problem but I just need to find a way to stop it. My male has been terrorizing the female whenever she goes up to the top of the tank to get food or catch a breath of air. She’s only safe when she is near the bottom of the tank. Help would be appreciated!

Greg F

Another female or two to help him spread his attention out

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Tscott667
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b