Female Peacock gudgeon with red gills?

njb235

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone has any experience with peacock gudgeons and them having slightly red gills there is no ammonia in the tank so it’s not ammonia burn does anyone have any ideas? She looks a bit de coloured as well

C4813F45-A413-4998-8AE7-A2F01BF576DA.jpeg
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone has any experience with peacock gudgeons and them having slightly red gills there is no ammonia in the tank so it’s not ammonia burn does anyone have any ideas? She looks a bit de coloured as well

C4813F45-A413-4998-8AE7-A2F01BF576DA.jpeg
She ate very well this morning as well and is not lethargic
Also I do have water that is hard and my ph is around 7.8 which I know aren’t their ideal conditions but my lfs guy said they would adapt and be fine and I know of other people who’ve successfully kept and bred them in similar conditions?

Candace

She looks bloated to me. Bloat + Red gills is usually a bacterial infection. I've never had to deal with it myself so I'm not sure how to treat. Hope someone can add something helpful and I'm sorry!!

Upvote 0

njb235

Okay I think she’s bloated because I just tried using live foods for first time and definitely over fed them a bit she was gobbling it all up but she has had a more bloated stomach than the rest but I thought she could be pregnant? If it is a bacterial infection though what should I use to treat it?

Upvote 0

Chris1212

Not totally sure but my guess is she is ok. I have two of them in my tank (hard water, 8ph) and they are thriving. They also get that fat belly at times because they eat everything.

Upvote 0

njb235

Okay I’m glad to hear some reassurance she did gobble everything in sight this morning! Just one more picture I can kind of see something black in her stomach is this normal?
8974AC02-30EB-44F7-9AB4-C86F297C4AF9.jpeg
B88BA485-0658-4DBC-A195-44C5F3FAE9F7.jpeg

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Might be eggs, might be the guts themself. I can't ever tell 100% for sure with mine. Doesn't seem anything to worry about. The reddish cheeks seems a normal thing, too. The round belly is very normal for a female gudgeon, which is definitely what you have there

Upvote 0

njb235

Awesome thanks for the response guys was getting worried so great to hear! Does anyone know if they would spawn in my tank conditions?

Upvote 0

jehorton

Had gudgeons for years. Very normal to have red there. IMO one of the coolest fish in the hobby.

Upvote 0

njb235

Agreed I absolutely love them!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Awesome thanks for the response guys was getting worried so great to hear! Does anyone know if they would spawn in my tank conditions?
I didn't do anything special and i have gudgeom eggs hatching! All i did fpr conditioning was frozen bloodworms once a week and frozen brine shrimp once a week.

Upvote 0

Chris1212

I think both of mine are male which is just as well...the tetras and Hillstreams would probably decimate any eggs or babies.

My two gudgeon are great. They come up to the glass when I get near (for food obviously), rarely hide, and periodically come to the surface to compete with the big tetras.

Upvote 0

njb235

My peacock gudgeons also seem to have been flashing quite a lot like rubbing against rocks and leaves but only for a few mins then they stop but they all do it now and then is this normal or something I should be worried about?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Madchild57
Replies
Views
Madchild57
Replies
Views
Chris1212
Replies