Female or Male Guppy?

FishGirl115

Is this a male or female guppy? I notice some other guppies seeming to "dance" around it and try to get underneath it. I thought that was a mating thing , but it's supposed to be a male...
P.S orange guppy in pics

Joshaeus

The picture's kinda blurry, but if it has a stick shaped analfin (the fin near the back of the fish, on the bottom), it's a male. Only male guppies get those stick shaped fins, called a gonopodium, which is used to mate with female guppies.

flyinGourami

FishGirl115 said:
Is this a male or female guppy? I notice some other guppies seeming to "dance" around it and try to get underneath it. I thought that was a mating thing , but it's supposed to be a male...
P.S orange guppy in pics
Pretty sure he or she is a male, its a little hard to see since the waters kinda cloudy. Guppies will sometimes chase each other regardless of gender.

FishGirl115

Thanks guys.

Sorry for bad pictures. My water is a tad cloudy from putting sand in as substrate. And my camera isn't a good one

qldmick

100% a male

emeraldking

No doubts... definitely a male... !

FishGirl115

Alright. I knew he looked like a male, it just confused me when the other fish seemed to be doing the mating dance thing, so I wanted to make sure

emeraldking

FishGirl115 said:
Alright. I knew he looked like a male, it just confused me when the other fish seemed to be doing the mating dance thing, so I wanted to make sure
Males can do that if another male is less dominant when females are lacking. But they do it also to check the pecking order.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom