Question Female or Male betta?

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got a “female” koi betta for my community tank. She got really aggressive and bit some tails so I moved her to a 3.5 gallon. Now she hardly moves and stays at the top and she has a little bubble nest. But I’ve heard it’s mostly males who make bubble nests. I’m kinda confused but here are some pics in case anyone can help :)
57BE0C5F-5A17-4F0B-94F2-50A35E3AF1F4.jpeg
8D936A8C-5DBF-46E6-A8FF-F9F27B3A9488.jpeg

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Need a clearer side profile pic but so far I'd say male based om body shape. Try to get it flare at a mirror, preferably try to get pics of the pelvic fins down and beard out.

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:
Need a clearer side profile pic but so far I'd say male based om body shape. Try to get it flare at a mirror, preferably try to get pics of the pelvic fins down and beard out.
She/he won’t move very much /: she’ll swim around like twice a day then go back to her corner but I can try

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The pictures aren't that very clear but I want to say male from how you described the aggression and the bubble nest as well. I do see a light beard I believe, it may just be the pectoral fins. If you see a visible beard , then thats a clear sign of male. I also see no egg tube as well for females

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:
8BD5AAF7-C765-4F92-82EC-A23234768AF1.jpeg
A0A598C6-7723-4892-81C1-4F7C1F960529.jpeg

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
The pictures aren't that very clear but I want to say male from how you described the aggression and the bubble nest as well. I do see a light beard I believe, it may just be the pectoral fins. If you see a visible beard , then thats a clear sign of male. I also see no egg tube as well for females
7080CB89-484C-4113-B479-8A5719F83B39.jpeg

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:
Yup, that's a boy!
Huh makes sense that “she” didn’t get along in my community tank! He was labeled as a female. Is it okay that he generally stays near the top of the water by his bubble nest and doesn’t move much? I’m just getting him rid of ich but water parameters are great. He swam around a lot in my community but I’m assuming it’s because he felt threatened

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My bettas swim around all over the place, perhaps your betta is just adjusting to his new tank or maybe the filter is too strong for him?

When my bettas aren't hunting shrimp/snails or swimming around then they're resting on the plants, I'd get him some tall, soft plants if you don't have any. Ones that reach the surface are greatly appreciated, the long leafed silk plants mimic tall crypts which my female betta specifically loves to sit on. My male gets himself tangled up in tall stem plants near the surface too.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Plakats really needs 5 gallons minimum and a longer tank is best. They are so active its a shame to put them in small tanks. I would suggest a larger one if you can, he would likely be much more active.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah I also so its a male as before. I do want to suggest some Indian almond leaves for some tannin tin to help his fins. The tannin will help with growth and provide antibacterial properties for him.

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FreshwaterHG said:
Plakats really needs 5 gallons minimum and a longer tank is best. They are so active its a shame to put them in small tanks. I would suggest a larger one if you can, he would likely be much more active.
I don’t have anything bigger ): he was labeled a girl so he was originally for my 15 gallon community tank. The 3.5 is all I have since he’s too aggressive for my community tank now

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have watched youtube vids on betta fish. I remember somewhere that one acting the way yours is a very bored betta. They make the bubble nest like that out of frustration. I know you say that you don't have a bigger tank, but he was happy in your other tank because he had more room to move around and pretty things to chase after.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Utar said:
I have watched youtube vids on betta fish. I remember somewhere that one acting the way yours is a very bored betta. They make the bubble nest like that out of frustration. I know you say that you don't have a bigger tank, but he was happy in your other tank because he had more room to move around and pretty things to chase after.
Bettas fish making bubblenest does not mean they are frustrated, it just means they are ready for mating... the Male bettas get the bubble nest ready for when they go and grab the females eggs. Its also not even true that when males make bubble nest it means their happy, they're just making the bubblenest for mating. Bubblenest being made have no correlation with emotions.

You are correct though that a 3.5gal is way too small for any betta, but considering OPs betta is actually male, its better to keep males separated from other fish. Plus having the male chase the other fish wouldn't even be a good thing.. just a sign of aggression from stressful tankmates. I think its best to keep all male bettas housed single to prevent aggression/stress.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't say a 3.5gal is too small, I have an older plakat male in a 3.4gal and he's perfectly healthy and active. It might not be an ideal tank size but so long as a betta can be kept healthy I see no problems?

Before thinking he is unhappy which is why he's being lazy, it is better to look into the more important details like ammonia, nitrite and temperature. He could just be sulking because of the recent move too.

New Threads