Female Or Male Betta Fish?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by pipirose, Apr 23, 2017.

1. pipiroseWell Known MemberMember

This betta fish has a larger body than all 3 of my males I have currently and quite larger than all my females. I can't see a noticeable egg spot. I've never seen it flare before. It's tails are incredibly long for a female. It's in a tank with 6 other females and 1 male. I keep close watch on them, none are stressed and any sign of aggression a betta will be removed but for now they live happy. 344e2c30af19afbbfd072b17bd8c55d7.jpg989d5e9b0af40ef2d18e34a6ba2e7597.jpg

Edit: my tank looks incredibly dirty but that's because I just messed with the filter and kicked up a lot of fish sludge ness-stuff

2. Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Looks like a male to me.

3. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

If you can't see an eggspot then I'd say male, but he looks bloated. I'd try fasting for 3 days and feeding a pea on the third to see if that helps. Just a side note, I wouldn't keep males and females together as it can result in breeding(500 fry per female that all have to have their one jar once they get a bit older). :)

4. JimWell Known MemberMember

Male; but I actually saw a 40B with 7 males in it and none were nipped or beaten. Male bettas have changed so much in the last 60 years. When I was a kid, two females would just about kill each other. Males definitely would., but then again, there were only veiltails and mostly basic red, green, blue and white.

5. pipiroseWell Known MemberMember

I've experimented, 1 male with multiple females and enough space for each other to hide from the others and everyone does perfect. But this is strange because she/he hasn't shown any aggression to my other male or the other way around?

6. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Sometimes males aren't aggressive to eachother(not very common, but does happen). When I had a divided tank my boys were fine together, even when Jet jumped over to Roden's side.

7. clk89Fishlore VIPMember

I agree this is a male betta. Many times males won't be aggressive until they hit puberty, it's why a tank can go months to even a year of no aggression to suddenly a blood bath.

8. pipiroseWell Known MemberMember

But I had put a baby male in the tank (marketed as a baby female) and immediately showed aggression even as a baby? Is it possible this could just be a long finned female?

9. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

If he doesn't have an eggspot then I really doubt it. Different bettas have different temperaments as well, I suggest trying to fast and see if hi stomach goes down. That'll also help determine the gender.

10. pipiroseWell Known MemberMember

I'll fast them then, hopefully that will help!

11. Jonathan1259New MemberMember

Hey how's it going fellow aquarist , it's definitely a male setts no doubt , but as another person in this thread said , it's most likely bloated by being over fed or it may be an infection but , rest ashore that it's 99% not an infection , you just have to fast it for a few days and you'll see . Then once the swelling of his stomach has been reduced just continue feeding but instead cut down the amount of pellets you used to feed it originally.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice