Female not laying eggs

Prasun

New Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
2
Points
3
I have kept a pair of betta for breeding for more than 10 days the male has created bubble nest but the female is not laying any eggs the male approaches her for embrace but she runs away I have had another female just before 15 days but the same was the case for her having the same male. I cannot figure out why the females are running away from the male. No females r ready to breed with him. And this is the only male I have which I have tried with 8 females but no result. I have even kept the pair for two months together but still no eggs.

suggestions are welcome.
 

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,895
Reaction score
3,769
Points
448
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you tell us the breeding setup? Did you condition the pair before introducing them? Can you add a few pictures of them? For all my spawns they usually laid eggs within a few days after being put together.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Prasun

New Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
2
Points
3
Demeter said:
Can you tell us the breeding setup? Did you condition the pair before introducing them? Can you add a few pictures of them? For all my spawns they usually laid eggs within a few days after being put together.
I have conditioned th water with indian almond leaves water and dechlorine along with an almond leaf floating in the water

Prasun said:
I have conditioned th water with indian almond leaves water and dechlorine along with an almond leaf floating in the water
will attach images when I reach home I am in my college at present
 

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Messages
2,052
Reaction score
1,796
Points
173
Is the male damaged, ill or otherwise showing signs of stress? Females will refuse to mate with a male if the conditions suggest that the environment is one in which fry won't survive or the male has weak genes, so make sure water quality is perfect and the male is in perfect shape, and the water level isn't too high.

Do you have any idea how old the male is?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Prasun

New Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
2
Points
3
PascalKrypt said:
Is the male damaged, ill or otherwise showing signs of stress? Females will refuse to mate with a male if the conditions suggest that the environment is one in which fry won't survive or the male has weak genes, so make sure water quality is perfect and the male is in perfect shape, and the water level isn't too high.

Do you have any idea how old the male is?
how to know weather the male is damaged or ill ?

and what r the conditions for the fries to survive
 

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Messages
2,052
Reaction score
1,796
Points
173
Prasun said:
how to know weather the male is damaged or ill ?

and what r the conditions for the fries to survive
I mean outwardly - look at him, does the fish have any blemishes - damaged or torn or melted fins, any physical deformities, is he clamping his fins, does he have any scales missing, any signs of ich spots or lesions, etc.?

Water with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and <20 (or really just <10) nitrates. PH 8 or below and stable. Water temperature at least 77F and below 86F. Some place for the female to hide if you aren't breeding black-out style.

How does the male behave towards the females, does he display his fins and swim back and forth to lure them to the nest? Are both male and females fully grown and not senior citizens?
 

prasunchoudhari

Valued Member
Messages
70
Reaction score
15
Points
23
Experience
5 to 10 years
PascalKrypt said:
I mean outwardly - look at him, does the fish have any blemishes - damaged or torn or melted fins, any physical deformities, is he clamping his fins, does he have any scales missing, any signs of ich spots or lesions, etc.?

Water with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and <20 (or really just <10) nitrates. PH 8 or below and stable. Water temperature at least 77F and below 86F. Some place for the female to hide if you aren't breeding black-out style.

How does the male behave towards the females, does he display his fins and swim back and forth to lure them to the nest? Are both male and females fully grown and not senior citizens?
how do we come to know the age of the betta i am breeding ?

and what are melted fins?
 

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Messages
2,052
Reaction score
1,796
Points
173
prasunchoudhari said:
how do we come to know the age of the betta i am breeding ?

and what are melted fins?
Meant in the nicest way possible, but I get the impression that it would help you a lot to read up on bettas and fish care in general a bit more before trying to breed them. Bettas are not the easiest species of fish to breed and without knowing what you should be doing and what is important it is likely you won't be able to raise fry successfully. This is likely also why you are failing to breed them so far. Why don't you post a picture of your set-up as Demeter suggested?

You can make some judgment by way of where you got the betta (and adding up how long you've had it), plus if it is very small it may not be fully grown and you can guess that it may be younger than 6 months. That's about it.

Edit: Wait, OP did you make a new, second account? This is confusing.

Edit 2: From your profile I learn that you have an uncycled setup (2ppm ammonia) - #1. cycle your tank before thinking about breeding. #2 You cannot breed betta in a community tank. So in that tank you won't be able to raise fry and likely not spawn them anyhow. #3 Unless you know what you are doing, do not keep two betta of opposite genders in the same small community tank. The male may end up killing the female or vice versa. #4. How big is your tank? Because it sounds like it has quite a bit of stocking. Most of the other fish in that tank are very active and would stress bettas out. #5. Bettas hate strong flow. They won't breed when it is present and they may not even stay healthy if can't reach the surface well.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom