female molly chasing another female molly

1. Kendra Initiate Member

hey guys,
    I have two female mollies and 5 molly babies in my tank at the moment. The babies are in breeder net. my silver molly has been chasing my black balloon molly quite a lot these two days and sometimes I saw her attacking the black molly. The tank is 5g planted so the black one has some space to hide. Whenever the silver molly sees the black molly she will chase her till the black molly find somewhere to hide. The silver molly is bigger than the black molly.
    I'm wondering does this cause a lot of stress on my black balloon molly? is it normal? cause I thought females are not as aggressive? should I take my silver molly back and change for another balloon molly? the silver molly is just normal molly (about 4 cm now)

p.s. I know my tank is too small for mollies. I did not know that you need big space for them when I bought them and was following the rule of 1 inch of fish to 1 gallon of water. I'm planning to give them away when they are bigger
    They have been goood together for 2 weeks with another 2 guppies. Seem to mind their own business and hang out with each other alright. The aggression only started today (maybe yesterday). I have recently lost 2 male guppies to ich

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Livebearers/Molly section of the forum.

Hold on for more responses.

Ken

3. Kendra Initiate Member

ok thank you! i didnt know there is a forum for mollies!

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

sounds like it could be a space issue :( and stress can cause ich ....can you look for a 10 or 20g tank for the adults and keep the fry in the 5g ? that would help a ton as the planted 5g doesnt seem to be enough space ....I hope things get better! and congrats on the fry!

5. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Defiantly would say it is a space issue. Mollies need to be in a much larger tank than a 5 gallon. I only keep 10 to 12 in a 30 gallon tank and do large water changes weekly. Mollies are very large waste producers and they will foul the water in a 5 gallon rather quickly and the larger they grow the bigger the problem will become.

The space and harassment will cause stress and stress and the toxic water can easily cause an out brake of ich. The best way to treat ich is to raise the temperature up to 86 degrees and leave it there for two weeks and lower the stressors.