Female Molly Acting Quite Weird Help 

  • Thread starter

lucy.hotdog

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
25
Points
53
Experience
2 years
Hi Everyone,

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 130L
How long has the tank been running? Since Dec 2018
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 26c
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 4x female mollies, 2x dwarf Gourami, 6x cory cat, 10x rummynose tetra

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 15-20%
What do you use to treat your water? Easy Life Fluid Filter Medium
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum the gravel

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No (it was gifted to me, I used prime to run a fish in cycle, only had the mollys during the cycle process)
What do you use to test the water? API mastertest kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
pH:7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice daily
How much do you feed your fish? small pinch of hikari fancy guppy, 2x sinking wafers once a day
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? once a week, brine shrimp frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Nearly 3 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? one day ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Female Molly is laying on the gravel
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No, she started acting weird after I did my weekly water change yesterday.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? physcially no change, but shes a bit wobbly when she swims and has been laying on the gravel.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
Since yesterday after my weekly water change, one of my mollys has started to lay on the gravel, I even noticed her face down in some moss. I have lots of live plants in my tank and shes been hiding away in them if shes not on the floor.
Her general swimming seems off, like shes not stable. I did notice that the temperature dropped in my tank after the water change (to 24c), but it is back to normal now. Could it be this? If I feed the tank, she will come up and eat, shes just acting extremely strange all of a sudden. I have a 30L tank I can set up if she needs to be isolated, but I'd rather not move her if it can be helped!

thank you in advance for your help
 

gmamy

New Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Points
11
Hello.
Her swim bladder may be off, I'm not sure how to treat that but I know that the swim bladder could be a part of it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

lucy.hotdog

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
25
Points
53
Experience
2 years
Thanks gmamy, that was my first thought too.

I guess I will have to see if the peas help... Any other advise is welcome!

Don't want to lose Miley, she's always seemed like the runt of the tank... So I have a real soft spot for her.
 

gmamy

New Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Points
11
lucy.hotdog said:
Thanks gmamy, that was my first thought too.

I guess I will have to see if the peas help... Any other advise is welcome!

Don't want to lose Miley, she's always seemed like the runt of the tank... So I have a real soft spot for her.
I totally agree. my fish are very important to me even though many would think its silly.i read that fasting the fish for 3 days then feeding the skinned cooked peas only could help. Also raising the temperature of the tank to around 80 degrees.
 

gmamy

New Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Points
11
I also read that cold water could cause the bladder to malfunction as well.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

lucy.hotdog

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
25
Points
53
Experience
2 years
I feel like this happened as soon as the water was changed and I checked the temp and it had dropped from 26c to 24c... I'll heat it to up to around 27c (approx 80f).
 

gmamy

New Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Points
11
lucy.hotdog said:
I feel like this happened as soon as the water was changed and I checked the temp and it had dropped from 26c to 24c... I'll heat it to up to around 27c (approx 80f).
Awesome. i hope she gets better!
 

gsong321

Valued Member
Messages
281
Reaction score
30
Points
103
Experience
5 to 10 years
lucy.hotdog said:
Hi Everyone,

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 130L
How long has the tank been running? Since Dec 2018
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 26c
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 4x female mollies, 2x dwarf Gourami, 6x cory cat, 10x rummynose tetra

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 15-20%
What do you use to treat your water? Easy Life Fluid Filter Medium
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum the gravel

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No (it was gifted to me, I used prime to run a fish in cycle, only had the mollys during the cycle process)
What do you use to test the water? API mastertest kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
pH:7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice daily
How much do you feed your fish? small pinch of hikari fancy guppy, 2x sinking wafers once a day
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? once a week, brine shrimp frozen

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Nearly 3 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? one day ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Female Molly is laying on the gravel
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No, she started acting weird after I did my weekly water change yesterday.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? physcially no change, but shes a bit wobbly when she swims and has been laying on the gravel.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
Since yesterday after my weekly water change, one of my mollys has started to lay on the gravel, I even noticed her face down in some moss. I have lots of live plants in my tank and shes been hiding away in them if shes not on the floor.
Her general swimming seems off, like shes not stable. I did notice that the temperature dropped in my tank after the water change (to 24c), but it is back to normal now. Could it be this? If I feed the tank, she will come up and eat, shes just acting extremely strange all of a sudden. I have a 30L tank I can set up if she needs to be isolated, but I'd rather not move her if it can be helped!

thank you in advance for your help
I could be shock from the temp change...it doesn't really sound like swim bladder as they're still pretty active even though their swimming is erratic. When A fish hides it's usally experiencing stress...from everything you've said I would have to go with shock due to the temp change but I would turn down the lighting and get her some stress guard or something similar to see if you can calm her down. I don't know if it helps but please let me know how she's doing...I'll be praying for her!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

lucy.hotdog

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
25
Points
53
Experience
2 years
Thank you! I've turned the lights off now, I might have something for stress that I can add, if not I'll go to the shops tomorrow and see what I can grab.

I just put a pea in the tank, but she showed no interest in coming for a feed so the others snapped it up... I will just see how she goes over the next 24 hours. Fingers crossed, she isn't any worse
 

gsong321

Valued Member
Messages
281
Reaction score
30
Points
103
Experience
5 to 10 years
lucy.hotdog said:
Thank you! I've turned the lights off now, I might have something for stress that I can add, if not I'll go to the shops tomorrow and see what I can grab.

I just put a pea in the tank, but she showed no interest in coming for a feed so the others snapped it up... I will just see how she goes over the next 24 hours. Fingers crossed, she isn't any worse
It really doesn't sound like swim bladder to me...swim bladder symptoms are scary looking but the fish is still active and has a good appetite. If there are no outward signs of infection...I really don't know what more to say other than keep her unstressed as much as possible. Hang in there...still praying for your little fish!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

lucy.hotdog

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
25
Points
53
Experience
2 years
Unfortunately little Miley passed away this afternoon. she went down hill really rapidly last night and I was quite surprised she survived over night... But when I got home from walking my dog she was gone.

Poor little one thanks to the advise replies!
 

mollybabes

Well Known Member
Messages
725
Reaction score
134
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
You say you are doing a fish in cycle. Mollies aren't the hardiest fish for that. Danios are better.
Could she have been pregnant. I lost my Chalky during birth.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

lucy.hotdog

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
25
Points
53
Experience
2 years
@mollybabes I think you may have been right! just looking at my tank today and I've seen 3 tiny fry in my plants... Although Miley didn't look pregnant... so might be one of the other 3 mollies females, seems like it lines up that it could've been her? I have lots of plants so there may be more hiding around. Miley was my only fish that had been acting strange and then went down hill very fast from seeming normal that morning. Miley was a dalmatian molly so I guess we will see what colours the fry turn out to be? My other mollies are black, orange and white balloon belly so I'll be able to tell if they came from Miley as she was the only 'regular type' I had.
 

mollybabes

Well Known Member
Messages
725
Reaction score
134
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
lucy.hotdog said:
@mollybabes I think you may have been right! just looking at my tank today and I've seen 3 tiny fry in my plants... Although Miley didn't look pregnant... so might be one of the other 3 mollies females, seems like it lines up that it could've been her? I have lots of plants so there may be more hiding around. Miley was my only fish that had been acting strange and then went down hill very fast from seeming normal that morning. Miley was a dalmatian molly so I guess we will see what colours the fry turn out to be? My other mollies are black, orange and white balloon belly so I'll be able to tell if they came from Miley as she was the only 'regular type' I had.
I love baby mollies. Can't have anymore, my rainbows take up all the space. I had 16 at one point. The most they survived for was a year due to sooty's faulty genes. Hopefully you'll have some luck with yours
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom