Female Mollie In Hiding?

LionFeather

I have a few mollies, five females, four males that have been doing fine until recently. One of my most confident females, who never used to hide away or anything has been sitting in one of my log ornaments for about a day or two now, the males are constantly annoying her by coming up and nuzzling against her belly. She and another female just had about a bazillion fry but they don't seem to be bothering her? She doesn't even come out for food, if she does she gets chased (it looks more aggressive than usual) and never gets the chance to eat. I first checked to see if she was sick but there were no obvious symptoms, I think the other fish may be bulling her (they normally do it to the other female fish) but she normally chases them off. Is something wrong with her?

BottomDweller

Welcome to fishlore!

The rule for stocking livebearers is to keep at least 2 females per male with more being better. For 9 mollies I'd recommend having 2 males and 7 females. You can see why. The males chase the females so having a lot of females means that it's spread out between them. If you don't have enougb females then they can be stressed to death by the males.
I'd recommend either splitting the males and females up, rehoming the males or getting more females. However for 4 males the bare minimum number of females you'd want 8 but you'd need quite a large tank for 12 mollies.
Sorry if I didn't explain that very well.

LionFeather

I did have enough females at one point, I must have done like three days worth of research but some of them have died and with the fry and everything (like I said a bazillion of them) I don't want to get new fish until they can get rehomed. The mollie I am talking about was the one who normally chased the others. I have no way of splitting them up as its my first time and only have one tank. Is there anyway I can stop them stressing her without getting or rehoming the other fish?

Zoomo

The males never stop, ever, not even during feeding. I have seen them ahem the females while I am feeding them with my hands in the water right where the food is. Relentless. I bought 5 more mollies all females, and they still bug mainly my Baloon Mollies. Don't know what it is about them that the Dalmatians love so much.

LionFeather

So there is no way to help her other than get more females?

BottomDweller

The males never stop, ever, not even during feeding. I have seen them ahem the females while I am feeding them with my hands in the water right where the food is. Relentless. I bought 5 more mollies all females, and they still bug mainly my Baloon Mollies. Don't know what it is about them that the Dalmatians love so much.
They will mostly go after balloons because to the males they look like they are heavily pregnant. The males want to mate with a female as soon as she gives birth so it is his sperm that is used for her next pregnancy. The normal males are faster than the balloon females so it is even more stressful for them. That's why female balloon mollies shouldn't be kept with normal bodied males.

Zoomo

So there is no way to help her other than get more females?
Not in the same tank. Maybe create loss of sight lines (there is another phrase for this but I cannot think of it right now, basically put plants in the middle so that he cannot see through them, or ornaments, etc.) so he doesn't see her as much, but I doubt that will help too much.

They will mostly go after balloons because to the males they look like they are heavily pregnant. The males want to mate with a female as soon as she gives birth so it is his sperm that is used for her next pregnancy. The normal males are faster than the balloon females so it is even more stressful for them. That's why female balloon mollies shouldn't be kept with normal bodied males.
Lots of folks have balloon mollies in with regular mollies and I went and got more females so there are plenty to choose from, but this one male just loves them. Anyway thanks for the tip.

LionFeather

I have just put her in the wee hospital tank thing until I get more females, would this help for a time? Thanks for the help.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
PascalKrypt
Replies
Views
mjryan