Female Lyretail Swordtails!

1. FishyFan2018

FishyFan2018 Valued Member Member

Well decided to go back to the LPS I got my gorgeous lyretail male from and see what the other one was and GUESS WHAT!!?? They had 3 not 1 but 3!!!!! Lyretail females!!!! So looks like I will get lyretail babies afterall lol just had to share as I'm over the moon excited as I know 1. Females are hard to find and 2. Got them for $2 each lol they are gorgeous and I can't believe my luck. Bob (my preteen named her pineapple sword) has been doing his mating ritual nonstop with them so think it won't take long lol so excited!!!!! Posted a pic of the male too. So I now have 3 females and 1 male lyretail and though I doubt the male can breed the females can!!

Attached Files:

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I. Want. Babies. :D

3. Chillin

Chillin Valued Member Member

good luck! id like some as well hah

4. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

We have to get babies first but after we get some good batches I have no problems sharing if I can figure out how lol

5. emeraldking

emeraldking Well Known Member Member

Hope you'll have lyretail babies...
    If the gonopodium of a real fullgrown lyretail male is already too long, he won't be able to mate. In case you'd like to have lyretail offspring, you'll have to use a younger male which gonopodium hasn't reached full length yet or a regular male swordtail. In last case, a part of the offspring will be regular swordtails and the other part lyretails.
    You can also use simpson swordtails. These are a bit similar to lyretail swordtails but the males do have a regular shaped gonopodium. With simspons the outer finrays are also enlarged but not as long as real lyretails.
    Show the pics when the babies arrive...

6. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

Ya the male can't breed I'm sure as his gono is really long but my pineapple sword male is going crazy for the girls and I'm sure he got one already lol hoping soon!!!

7. emeraldking

emeraldking Well Known Member Member

Lucky guy...!!!

8. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

One of the lyretail females isn't looking good though she seemed off when we got her but perked up some but now she is all clamped again and looking off. But other two are doing good so guess considering the luck I've had with newly bought fish (bad batches from 3 LPS) 1 death out of the 4 isn't too bad hoping she perks up. Tested water and it's fine did a 75% exchange 2 days ago as well and everyone else is happy so maybe she just having an off day. Side note definately have a pregnant one so maybe in 2-4 weeks we have babies.

9. nyless

nyless Valued Member Member

good luck with the babies! i just had my first batch about 2 weeks ago and we are eagerly awaiting more!

10. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

Regular or Lyretail? Congratulations. I am still waiting for my first batch of regular swordtail babies. Lyretail female won't be due for 2-3 more weeks at least.

11. nyless

nyless Valued Member Member

just some regular swords. i believe the fathers a red velvet mix and the mothers a green swordtail. expecting theyll color up here in about 4 -5 more weeks.

12. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

That's awesome!! I can't wait till I have some babies. I have a pineapple sword that's about to have babies eventually lol but I think I got her pregnant so no clue what type dad is though I have a pineapple male that is breeding with the lyretails.

13. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

Haha that feeling when you're after something specific and finally find it :D I know that one lol. Good luck with them :)