Female Kribs I think?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by el337, Aug 8, 2015.

1. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Want to check the sex of my Kribs. I think they're both female but the coloring and shapes are very different on them.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439039813.731977.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439039842.347006.jpg

2. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

There's an easy way. Females have small rounded ventral fins. Males' are long and pointed.

Both females. :)

3. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Thank you! That's what I was going by also so I was almost sure they were females. Their different body shapes and coloring threw me off. Lol

4. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Also, the second one chases away the first quite a bit and I noticed the first one's tail fin is torn a little. I'm hoping the aggression decreases as they get used to the new tank.

5. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Don't worry about split fins, they're the equivalent of a split fingernail (ok worry if you're female :) ) as long as the water is good they soon heal.

The top fish does have a maleish look to it in places. As for colour, one will always be dominant, that's the more colourful one. The aggression might increase as she moves further towards breeding readiness and starts to guard her chosen territory while waiting for a male to swim past...

6. el337Fishlore LegendMember

She'll have a long wait coming cuz I don't plan on adding any males. lol

Thanks for the advice... I was worried the tail nipping might get worse (if the 2nd one is responsible for it).

7. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Female Kribs don't like other female Kribs in their territory. The dominant female will NOT stop bullying the other. This information came from Ted Judy, who has bred almost all the species/populations of Pelvicachromis known to the hobby. His website (tedsfishroom.com) used to have a great deal of information on the Genus. These days he's more into the commercial side of fishkeeping.

8. el337Fishlore LegendMember

They seem ok as long as they are not in the same area. I have different plants, rock cave and driftwood spread around so they don't run into each other too much but when they do, the dominant one does chase the other away. Will adding a male make it better or worse? Or would rehoming one of them be better? I'd preferably like to keep the 2 females.