Female Guppy Surprise

KK35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been reading this forum for sometime, learning how to take care of my pet fish, and the forum been educational and very helpful. I need some help, again.

I will give you some background information, as i think it will be relevant. I started back on August 1, 2015, I bought a Betta fish (Male - but didn't know at the time) and put him in a 1g fish bowl. 3 weeks later I bought a female Betta (Orange - see her in pic). I was a noob, and still is a noob, so I left the new Betta in the plastic cup it came in, and placed it in-front of the bowl for 3 days. The Male fish went nuts, filled top of his bowl with bubbles, which is about the time i figured it was a male, and he started flashing his beautiful fins to get her attention, all the time.

After 3 days, I put the female in the bowl, and the chase began, followed by abuse. In such a tiny bowl, which is not good for one tiny fish, let alone 2 Betta's, there was no place for her to hide from him. 2 days later, I got her a 1g bowl and separated them. I kept both fish bowls next to one another, even though I read that would stress the female out, or both. The female fish was clearly happy, because she recovered from the beating and her fins healed and she was fine within 1 week. She also seemed to enjoy the fact he could not get to her, and he tried so very hard to swim through the bowl repeatedly.

By first week of Sep, I had bought the water care, conditioner, stress coat, and stress zyme. I also bought 2 separate 3.5g tanks that came with filters, the gravel and decorations. I kept them next to one another as well. Looked fancy at the time, but turned out to be a really bad tanks for multiple reason, but that's another story.

Water changes: What I never did is follow advise of doing partial water changes on weekly bases. I basically removed the fish from tanks, once a week, and emptied entire tanks, cleaned them with hot water, no soap or chemicals, and after 1 hour of letting the tank cycle, I returned them to their tanks. This was the same way for 3 weeks in a row, which they were fine with, i think. Male Betta kept making more bubbles in the new tank, even though I kept changing water. So I tried again and put her in there, and would remove her when he started attacking her.

I learned afterward when I read more about them, thats how they mate (poor female fish), and she eventually had tons of eggs. Both of them would grab the eggs and put it in the bubbles. I removed her so she can heal and recover (which she did) and left him in there alone and did not feed him. My mistake was, i left him in same 3.5 tank, with water filter on, and worst part, left light on 24/7. He stressed out to the point he ate all the eggs. Lesson learned. The female Betta recovered well and grew her fins back.

By end of October I replaced the 2 new tanks with a used 10g tank with a strong water filter that can handle 20g tanks, and got the 2 small blue fish you see in the pic. At this point, I had 2 Betta's and 2 male Guppies. I was so excited about the new tank and I was really hoping I can get the Betta's to breed again, so on second day, I put him with the other fishes in same tank. The entire day, all he did was chase her, and she was on a mission to avoid him, like the plague. Kept hiding in the plants like a ninja, and he is going around the tank looking for her. The next morning, I looked around the tank, and she was at the surface swimming and he is no where to be found. I found him in the water filter, he got sucked in, or she pushed him in (still my theory) and he ended up shredded.

Another lesson about filters and the power of suction. I removed him (whats left), cleaned the filter, and changed the entire tank water because it was dirty.

Since October, i've extended the water filter intake, and got more fish. I also got different food for them. Frozen blood worms, dry blood worm, pellets, and flakes. I now have 2 Betta's (females), 1 Glass fish, 1 tiny fish (no clue of name), 1 gray/white black-spotted fish (unsure of name), the 2 blue guppies, 1 red guppy, and 2 yellow female guppies.

Ever since I got the 2 yellow female guppies, the two blue fishes, were on them like her shadow 24/7, they never attack her, but are always tailgating her, nonstop. She was bigger then them and didn't seem to care. within 10 days, both of them became noticeably big, and seeing how I figured I was over feeding all of them, i thought they were just pigging out. I literally called one of them the vacuum. No food left. Other fish learned quick, if they dont eat now, its gona be gone.

Same water change habit continued, once a week I do full water change, 1 hour to cycle and return them. Water is always warm, not cold, not hot. No problems. Although some of the fish tails seems to have changed color, almost seems like it's dirty, but other than that, they are happy. Except for the red fish, she is always scared of me and hiding in the corner.

By first week of December, one of the yellow fish was so big, there was no doubt she was prego, but there are no fish fry anywhere, and she just seem to get bigger and bigger. By 2nd week of Jan, 2016, I figure she (the vacuum) is just fat and I better separate her from them to feed her less. I didn't get around to doing that till this Sunday night. I put her in a 1g bowl, and placed it next to the tank. The blue fishes were glued to the tank side watching her.

The surprise: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday came and gone and she wont eat, kept sitting at the bottom, I figured she was not happy or stressed out and decided that Thursday morning im going to return her to the tank. Her belly was 3 times the size of the yellow fish in the tank. However, Thursday morning, i noticed her belly was smaller than the other yellow fish and I was confused because its been 7+ weeks of her being prego, which I figured is just her being fat. She actually started giving birth and had a bunch of fish fry, and by tonight, she was still giving birth, you can see some of the fry were almost 3 times the size of the smaller ones, which leads me to believe she started giving birth on Tuesday, and I didn't see them?! She is still not eating, and I'm not sure.

I only have that 1g spare bowl and not sure how to care for them, or what to do, because she still wont eat, and I put some crushed flakes in bowl, and not sure if they are eating or not. I have another 3g plastic container that I use to transfer them when doing water changes, but dont want them to die during transfer and need help?

The tank has no heater, but temp is warm and remains in GREEN MARK on thermostat, and light is on timmer on/off (7:30am to 10pm), i take care of them, although i may over feed sometime. I'm posting photos hoping this will help get some feedback. Please let me know. I reduced the size of the photos, not sure about size limits on here, sorry. I can re-post hi-res if it helps.

20160128_192223.jpg 20160128_192556.jpg 20160128_192537.jpg 20160128_192507.jpg 20160128_192448.jpg 20160128_192443.jpg 20160128_192429.jpg 20160128_192414.jpg 20160128_192356.jpg 20160128_192343.jpg 20160128_192341.jpg 20160128_192330.jpg 20160128_192318.jpg 20160128_192314.jpg 20160128_192309.jpg 20160128_192600.jpg

ToxicDesire

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yeah betas shouldn't be with others and your water changes are gonna kill your fish just do 25% weekly and you should be fine the fry on the other hand need special food forgot what its called I've never raised fry but ill give it a try with my jack dempseys ;D

Peacefantasy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle?
I see a lot of problems here, water change routine being one of them..
If you dont have other tanks to care of the fry as they get older, they should be left in the main tank.
Keeping male and female guppies together is basically a guppy explosion in the making. And when youre using 1g unfiltered unheated bowls, id say youre not in any position to be dealing with a guppy explosion.
Sorry to be so blunt, im just saying how it is..

KK35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you both for your feedback. Yes, i've read on the nitrogen cycle, but seeing how im doing 100% water changes, does it really matter? I realize I need to correct the water changes im doing, and that will make nitrogen cycle relevant. I'm reading more on the forum (any specific threads you'd recommend for reading?).

This morning I removed the mother and put her in the tank, and did 50% water change in the 1g bowl as a bunch of the fry were dead (removed them). I used a baster to replace water so i don't disturb the fry. I still have plenty of fry in the bowl. Im feeding them flakes (crushed) and some frozen shrimp, very little amount. Is this ok? any thread's you'd recommend for feeding/caring for fry?

I really don't want to get a second 10g tank to separate the male/female guppies, so i'm gona need to find a solution i guess.

I'm now thinking the second yellow guppy with the big belly is possibly prego not fat. I'm going to put her in 3g bowl on her own to see if she will give birth, like first one did.

Peacefantasy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have a test kit?
The fry likely died because they dont have a heater or filter. Fry still need a present cycle.
If you dont separate the males and females, but you continue to separate the fry, you need to have a plan for what to do with all these guppies you will have.
Have you thought about how you will get rid of them?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This may sound harsh and some may think me heartless but unless you are set up to take care of the fry it may be best to just leave them in the tank with the rest of your fish and let nature do what is natural in the wild.

A quick death from being eaten may be more humane than them trying to survive in the conditions you are able to give them.

s hawk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am in about the same position. I haven't been able to confirm if my female is pregnant yet, and if she isn't she will be soon. I also agree with mattgirl. The fry are basically free treats for the fish. I think I read somewhere that the fry are actually somewhat nutritious for the parents (but don't quote me on that). A few might survive, but just let nature takes it's course. However if you really want to breed guppies, then go for it with a good setup. Just my two cents, and it's not really heartless, it's nature.

KK35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't have a test kit, but if i'm going to follow the water change rules, im going to need to get one and check for ph/ammonia... etc.

My concern with just 50% water changes, is that I still have to remove them from the tank as I do it, and also vacuum the gravel. Unless I can figure a way to setup an under-gravel filter, not sure if worth it for a 10g tank. Also when refilling the tank I have to do it with a bucket, another reason i dont want the fish in there during the process. I need to get a water hose!

I read that fry gender is not defined till 3-4 weeks later? I'm not even sure how to tell what their gender is. I really never thought about the guppies mating because the petstore told me they wont mate unless i put them in a breeding tank, and I relied on that info, which turned out to be incorrect. Nonetheless, happy surprise.

I can confirm the indoor temperature is always the same and the bowl water is not cold. I still dont want them to end-up as food, and I can't put them in tank because of my water filter, it will suck them into the filter. I also learned that the mother should have been removed few hours after birthing and I left her there for at least 2 days! Maybe she ate some of them? I still have like 25 or 30 left. I was thinking of giving them away most of them and just keeping some.

You can see the vid of the tank and the bowl (from last night before i removed the mother).

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You shouldn't remove your fish to do the partial water changes. That'll just stress out the fish even more. Just use a siphon to take out 50% of the water and fill the tank back up slowly using a bowl or a cup to reduce the current. Don't forget to add water dechlorinator for the whole tank amount not the amount of water you're adding back in. Don't forget to turn off your filter and lights to keep it from shorting out, etc. Safety is key.

As for a water test kit. API Master Test Kit is the way to go. Test your water before you do a water change and after to keep tabs on the water conditions. I see that you know about the Nitrogen Cycle, but since you have been doing 100% changes I feel like you keep cycling the tank over and over. Just saying.

Also, plan on getting a heater so that way you can keep the water temperatures in check! Less stress on fish equals happy fish!!

I don't have a test kit, but if i'm going to follow the water change rules, im going to need to get one and check for ph/ammonia... etc.

My concern with just 50% water changes, is that I still have to remove them from the tank as I do it, and also vacuum the gravel. Unless I can figure a way to setup an under-gravel filter, not sure if worth it for a 10g tank. Also when refilling the tank I have to do it with a bucket, another reason i dont want the fish in there during the process. I need to get a water hose!

I read that fry gender is not defined till 3-4 weeks later? I'm not even sure how to tell what their gender is. I really never thought about the guppies mating because the petstore told me they wont mate unless i put them in a breeding tank, and I relied on that info, which turned out to be incorrect. Nonetheless, happy surprise.

I can confirm the indoor temperature is always the same and the bowl water is not cold. I still dont want them to end-up as food, and I can't put them in tank because of my water filter, it will suck them into the filter. I also learned that the mother should have been removed few hours after birthing and I left her there for at least 2 days! Maybe she ate some of them? I still have like 25 or 30 left. I was thinking of giving them away most of them and just keeping some.

You can see the vid of the tank and the bowl (from last night before i removed the mother).

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I must of not mentioned that part correctly. I was stating that the filters should be turned off while doing water changes. Guess I didn't pay attention to what I was typing and which part I was answering to. Lol.

@chaaan30 you shouldn't turn off your filters that would deprive the fish from oxygen and I'm pretty sure its bad for beneficial bacteria

KK35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the feedback! x

I bought this small and put it in the 10g tank, and moved all the fry into it. This way they now have water filter access and temperature can be maintained. Friendly reminder, that I do not have a heater (i checked it's like $50 for a 10g tank - any DIY ideas?) but I'm using a light bulb to illuminate the tank, and with tank being covered, the water is always within green mark.

By putting the fry in tank now, it will force me to never do 100% water changes again, but rather 50% only, so I'm gona have to refill tank slowly without removing the fish.

I figured the breeding tank will be helpful to separate other fish if needed, or if they have more babies, and once fry are big enough, not to be eaten, i will release them in same tank, and they already used to it!
Also, all fry alive, none died.

Will update later.

KK35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm going to do 25% only, this way I wont even have to move the breeding tank as water goes down.

Fish fry all are good and live, none died, except the one I murdered! I was curious what would the other fish do if they saw one of these little guys among them, so I moved 1 fry in there, and my indian glassfish chased it and ate it in seconds poor thing didn't stand a chance!

I do have a question; what's the best thing to feed the fry?

They are so small and will take months before they grow bigger (i think), and i'm feeding them dry flakes that i break in almost powder form, and it appears thats only thing they would eat. They wont eat freeze dried worms even if i crush them in tiny pieces and wont eat any flakes that's been mixed with water, its like mud (saw that on youtube), but they would chase it and then leave it alone.

All feedback welcome.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom