Female guppy secluding herself

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Borngemini, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Borngemini

BorngeminiValued MemberMember

I have a female guppy in with a male the male doesn't really bother with her anymore he's more interested in another male Molly, but anyway the past week she has secluded herself staying at the heater filter or in the plants, I don't have many fish in my tank (around 6-7 now) it's a 65L I haven't seen any other fish attack Her or try to but if* one goes near she backs up any ideas why? I have attached a pic of her

Also there diet contains once a week tubifex once a week mealworm (tiny pinch) and normal fish food flakes every other day, I don't over feed them when feeding flakes just add a pinch daily

2. Nikita

NikitaWell Known MemberMember

She looks and sounds stressed. Is there a lot of cover in the tank for her to hide?

3. OP
    OP
    Borngemini

Yes I have Ornaments and plenty of plants , what could be causing her stress?

4. Nikita

The ornaments and plants would be the least of her stress.

Hmm, have you been watching carefully to see if any fish at all is bothering her? What about your water parameters? Are they good?

5. flyinggogo

flyinggogoValued MemberMember

Guppies dont really have stomachs per say so you might want to feed them a bit more. When my guppies go to the bottom like that, they are about to give birth, or just gave birth, then a day or two later they are normal.

6. OP
    OP
    Borngemini

I've been watching her really carefully yes my tanks are
    Cycled and I've moved her to my bigger tank away with a few females and she seems good now happy

7. Nikita

I'm glad everything worked out. Make sure to keep an eye on her still and keep us updated! :)

8. OP
    OP
    Borngemini

I will do, Thankyou I think it was because she was on her own she seems
    Happier now she has friends x

9. Nikita

You're welcome. It was more of you that helped out than anything! :)

10. OP
    OP
    Borngemini

I still don't know what happened I thought she was dying, tank 1 has 1 Molly 2 platys and 8 neons now and tank 2 just has 8 guppies :) the fish listed arnt nasty at all, I have noticed a little red line appear on her side maybe I missed her been bullied in the night
    When you said water perimeters did you mean tank size? That's why I moved her lol! 70L she Was in and I moved her to my 80L

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  11. flyinggogo

Parameter would be ph ammonia nitrate and nitrite readings. If u want to get crazy also your gh and kh readings

12. flyinggogo

People will call me an idiot but your guppies and other fish would benefit from added electrolytes (salt) especially the guppies. Also if u have softened water you should find a way to get unsoftened water. Ie: like from outside. The water used to water the lawn is most likley unsoftened.

13. fishlover123456

fishlover123456New MemberMember

i think it may be stress how long has she been in your tank i would not worry about it. but if the problem persists i would try to watch closely if fish are attacking her.

14. Nikita

Water Parameters are like Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Temp, etc. Do you happen know about the Nitrogen cycle? Do you have a test kit?

15. OP
    OP
    Borngemini

Oh yeah I get u sorry, yeah it's ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 5-10
    Ph 7.0
    I use the Hagen freshwater master test kit

16. Nikita

Your parameters are good! So it must've been just her stressed.

17. OP
    OP
    Borngemini

Saying that she's awfully ballooned up today, with a massive black gravid spot :-o