30 Gallon Tank Female Guppy Is So Big!

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have my guppies for more than 1 year and they are so healthy. I have one female that is pregnant, but she is so big, and I think is her first time being pregnant.
e5466dbdd04c0777978a46adc7b0b7be.jpg
4b03ee5223645a49aea6e9e3d5804140.jpg
8d13de89ff4acd95f2addf1dfdd6abad.jpg
a80a8971748ed1fa37370028c6442bfa.jpg
d0211a81956bfefe6135587df9fe164b.jpg

OP
edgardcafe

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have no idea!
I googled it and I have found
Dropsy/pineconing: This is not a disease, but it is a symptom of many possible diseases. This refers to a fish that appears to be more round than normal with a distended body cavity. The pinecone appearance is a result of distention of the underlying skin in a way that causes the scales to be flared away from the body.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are many things you can try to do to help, but they don't always help, and some involve needles but guppies are so small for that... I personally wouldn't do that method with her.

Things you can do:
Methlyene blue in a tank with her
Multiple epsom salt baths
Fresh water
Lots of places to rest near the surface as swimming will become difficult for her.

Invest in clove oil if you don't have it already.

I personally think she could possibly be pregnant and have dropsy, pregnancy making it far worse.
She is for sure pineconed at the top of her body, and is obviously masisve by the size of her tail.

With the baths, add normal meth blue to whatever tank or container you plan to QT her in.
Don't do a bath of that.
When you do the epsom bath, 1tbsp per gallon of salt, and then once the bath is over dump her and that into the qt with the meth blue.

You can try kanaplex, but dropsy is often a result of failing organs so kanaplex could possibly kill her.
You also don't want to treat healthy fish with it so you must qt her.
You must also watch other fish closely to watch for dropsy in them too.
Bloating is a bad sign.

FiscCyning

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that this looks like dropsy, not just pregnancy (although she could be pregnant and have dropsy at the same time.

Do you have an extra tank (with filter and heater) you could use to quarantine her? It’s best to medicate her separately so you don’t also medicate any healthy fish. Also, if you use methylene blue it will dye things in your tank blue so you probably don’t want to use it in your main tank.

A little more information about the tank can help us figure out what’s going on and help guide you in the right direction. What size is the tank and what fish are in it (species as well as numbers)? What are the water parameters, especially ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? How often do you perform water changes and what percentage of the water do you remove, plus do you use a water conditioner for the new water?

OP
edgardcafe

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree that this looks like dropsy, not just pregnancy (although she could be pregnant and have dropsy at the same time.

Do you have an extra tank (with filter and heater) you could use to quarantine her? It’s best to medicate her separately so you don’t also medicate any healthy fish. Also, if you use methylene blue it will dye things in your tank blue so you probably don’t want to use it in your main tank.

A little more information about the tank can help us figure out what’s going on and help guide you in the right direction. What size is the tank and what fish are in it (species as well as numbers)? What are the water parameters, especially ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? How often do you perform water changes and what percentage of the water do you remove, plus do you use a water conditioner for the new water?
I have a 29 gallon tank with 14 guppies and 2 small gold fish ( they look like gold fish but I don’t think it is because I have them for more than 8 months and they’re still the same size when I bought) nitrite 0,nitrate 20ppm, and ammonia is 0 ppm. I have changed 80% water 7 days ago, and I have been using Prime conditioner every time when I changed water and never got a problem.
c22f1a77f5dbefccf6ec99ce20bb286d.jpg
85e658f83a571d288bb32325040865ef.jpg
When I feed them, she always eats, but
I don’t know that to do because tomorrow I’m going to travel and will be back after 15 days, in addition, I don’t have anyone to takes care of it, even though my friend will come to give some food, he won’t be able to take care of her.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 29 gallon tank with 14 guppies and 2 small gold fish ( they look like gold fish but I don’t think it is because I have them for more than 8 months and they’re still the same size when I bought) nitrite 0,nitrate 20ppm, and ammonia is 0 ppm. I have changed 80% water 7 days ago, and I have been using Prime conditioner every time when I changed water and never got a problem. View attachment 502576View attachment 502577.
When I feed them, she always eats, but
I don’t know that to do because tomorrow I’m going to travel and will be back after 15 days, in addition, I don’t have anyone to takes care of it, even though my friend will come to give some food, he won’t be able to take care of her.
Do you have a walmart nearby? They should carry clove oil.
This will euthanize her.
I don't believe your friend would enjoy coming home to feed your fish and possibly finding her dead...
To be quite crass, she is only a guppy. But also, her suffering isn't worth it.
With how bad she is, a recovery would be long and hard, and even then many report they don't make it long after recovery.
My betta had dropsy, not nearly as bad, and I was able to remove fluids with a needle and help him.
But I don't believe the same is possible for your fish.
It is tough but I believe clove oil may be the best for her.
You can choose to try to let her try to tough it out, but dropsy is fairly serious and could kill her shortly.
I'm very sorry she is sick this is so sad..
I know you will choose which is best.

OP
edgardcafe

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you have a walmart nearby? They should carry clove oil.
This will euthanize her.
I don't believe your friend would enjoy coming home to feed your fish and possibly finding her dead...
To be quite crass, she is only a guppy. But also, her suffering isn't worth it.
With how bad she is, a recovery would be long and hard, and even then many report they don't make it long after recovery.
My betta had dropsy, not nearly as bad, and I was able to remove fluids with a needle and help him.
But I don't believe the same is possible for your fish.
It is tough but I believe clove oil may be the best for her.
You can choose to try to let her try to tough it out, but dropsy is fairly serious and could kill her shortly.
I'm very sorry she is sick this is so sad..
I know you will choose which is best.
Last night before I had gone to bed, I setup a hospital tank with Methylene Blue and salt but ,this morning, she looks the same as yesterday.
1fb821138fa27ad4f8ce7aa86afbc316.jpg

She has until midday to recover before my trip. Anyway, Even thought she is a little guppy, it is very sad to euthanize her.I don’t have clove oil.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Last night before I had gone to bed, I setup a hospital tank with Methylene Blue and salt but ,this morning, she looks the same as yesterday.
View attachment 502634
She has until midday to recover before my trip. Anyway, Even thought she is a little guppy, it is very sad to euthanize her.I don’t have clove oil.
I am sorry you have to deal with this. If you don't have clove oil an easy way to euthenize is to smack her on the head with a hammer. I am sorry it sounds gruesome but it is painless and quick!

OP
edgardcafe

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am sorry you have to deal with this. If you don't have clove oil an easy way to euthenize is to smack her on the head with a hammer. I am sorry it sounds gruesome but it is painless and quick!
! I have never done it! Let’s see how she’ll be when I come back from work, today around midday. Thank you for your help. I will post what I will do!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm so sorry! Dropsy is a symptom of kidney failure, normally caused by a bacterial infection, which is why kanaplex is recommended. I've treated it once before with Kanaplex, but it was a much earlier stage, and it was a long and hard process. Unfortunately I don't think it's a good prognosis at this point. If she does pass, and you're up to it, you can try and dissect her and remove possible babies, though they may be underdeveloped and not make it. If you do plan on this, the clove oil may kill babies as well, and you would want to make an incision from the back and peel the skin down, then open the organ cavity. I'm so sorry, it's always difficult to lose a fish.
What temperature is your tank? And I hate to pile more on you at this time, but you do have stocking issues if you want to discuss them.

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know this isn't even remotely funny but I just imagined doing that. First of all I couldn't but even if I could...a hammer? There wouldn't be anything left of the fish! I think I would use the clove oil. Actually I wouldn't do anything. Sounds mean but I couldn't kill a fish.

I'm really sorry about your fish.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You could also put her in a tray of water and then in the freezer, her metabolism would slow down, she would go to sleep, and eventually die. Clove oil is similar, first it sedates them, then a larger amount will euthanize her, or some use vodka after putting the fish to sleep with the clove oil, and take a last drink at the same time as their fish

OP
edgardcafe

edgardcafe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could also put her in a tray of water and then in the freezer, her metabolism would slow down, she would go to sleep, and eventually die. Clove oil is similar, first it sedates them, then a larger amount will euthanize her, or some use vodka after putting the fish to sleep with the clove oil, and take a last drink at the same time as their fish
Wow! i think this sounds much better than using a hummer ! I will put her in the freezer. Thank you for your advice!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow! i think this sounds much better than using a hummer ! I will put her in the freezer. Thank you for your advice!
I really am sorry you have to lose her, it's always difficult to lose one. You may also want to put something over the container when it's time, to prevent her from jumping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom