1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Female guppies finrot outburst! Females only!

1. N

Nimra New Member Member

Last night I discovered that one of my female guppie's fin was slightly white on one side, and in 24 hours it got from a showcase guppy to this halved-fin guppy on the pics. I had to remove it from my tank, but I also noticed that most of my adult female guppies showed similar symptoms today.

And it only happened to female guppies! How is this possible? I didn't really notice any fin nipping going on in the tank!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

Oh I am so sorry my first betta died from finrot, but I hope your guppies pull through!:(

Advertisement

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have males in the tank? They could be nipping them.

4. OP
    OP
    N

Nimra New Member Member

Yes, there are males in the tanks. And I haven't really noticed any nipping :S.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening, unfortunately :(

6. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

You must have at least 1:3 ratio of male/female in your tank so that the females outnumber the males and get a break from being chased. If they are chased non-stop they will get stressed and get sick.
    As far as meds you could use furan-2 or maracyn-2. Both are avaliable at petsmart/petco and the furan2 is avaliable at walmart called "fungus cure"

7. OP
    OP
    N

Nimra New Member Member

The ratio is about 1:3. Only I've also noticed other weird things going on in the aquarium right now: the plants are starting to die off (leaves are turning brown/yellow, and the fish are kind of hanging in the corners. One of the males died this morning. The fin detoriation seems to have slowed down though. I've cleaned the filter, changed the coal (it's been 2,5 months since the last change), and now I'm doing 20% water change every 3 days.

Could this be some sort of a chemical poisoning, considering that the plants aren't doing so well either?