Female gouramies are root eaters/nibblers

Chiasmodon

I have tried every floating plant that was suggested (frogbit, duckweed, water lettuce, and salvinia) to prevent gouramies from destroying floating plants roots, however nothing did not work, worst, they dont even try to eat what they destroy. Some fish keeper said that they are just building bubble nest, however this is not i my case, they just tear the plant roots and leave it floating and do nothing with it and keep doing the same thing until there is no roots left of the plant and when new roots appears they will destroy it again. I have fed them algae and spirulina pellets but it seems they still keep destroying the roots. Ah man, I thought they like floating plants because they love to hide but it seems they like to destroy them and I dont know why. I think It is best for me to stop keeping floaters for gourami. I guess I will try to transfer some of my other female gouramies to my pond to lessen the damage. But I still need some clarification why does female gouramies destroy roots even though they are not yet ready to lay their eggs or dont carry any eggs with them in the first place.. Are they doing this for fun? Or theres these small parts of the root that they like to eat?

awilkinson871

I think they are often picking at tiny food bits and biofilm stuck to the roots and damage them in the process. You could try some hornwort and just leave it floating. It doesn't have roots and isn't pleasant to taste for most fish. It also grows fast and broken stems will often keep growing.

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

I think they are often picking at tiny food bits and biofilm stuck to the roots and damage them in the process. You could try some hornwort and just leave it floating. It doesn't have roots and isn't pleasant to taste for most fish. It also grows fast and broken stems will often keep growing.
I have hornwort, Ill be using them then. I really really want to keep rooted floating plants, but I think I have to adjust for the better, thank you :) !

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Agree with that. Plus they might need a bit of algae in their diet.

BTW males build a bubblenest, females don't

Upvote 0

Chiasmodon

Agree with that. Plus they might need a bit of algae in their diet.

BTW males build a bubblenest, females don't

as I mentioned, I feed them algae, and, oh, I almost forgot that females labyrinth don't build nests, like female bettas., ty for reminding me.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

as I mentioned, I feed them algae, and, oh, I almost forgot that females labyrinth don't build nests, like female bettas., ty for reminding me.
To add, the only species that I know for sure that use plant matter in building bubble nests are Dwarf Gourami. Three Spots will build within plants but they don't use them.

I would try floating Hygrophila Polysperma, this what I use when nothing seems to work.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
jake37
Replies
Views
awilkinson871