Female Gbr Maybe Male?

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Laurengr, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Laurengr

Laurengr Valued Member Member

So I've had these two GBRs for maybe a couple months now, and I was convinced I had a male and a female. They were exhibiting behaviour which I've believed to be breeding behaviour although I believe that they are to young to do so, and by appearances I though they were different genders. But I was looking at the female today and started doubting that she was actually a she. So here's the male:[​IMG]
    And this is the female I believe [​IMG][​IMG]
    Her belly is a bit more pink than in the photos whereas his is not at all, but just wanted to confirm. Thanks guys!

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    It looks like you have a pair of GBR to me.

The female will have a pinkish belly and on her black spot on her body, she should have some blue jewels . The male will have none of the two.

If you provide them with a cave, that will encourage them to spawn. Also, like all Cichlids, once they are in breeding mode they will protect their eggs and will terrorize everything in the tank, so keep that in mind.
    Best of Luck! ;)

3. OP
    OP
    Laurengr

Laurengr Valued Member Member

I'm hoping that they'll use the two caves I've got in there, although they are open at both ends so maybe they don't like that? Will consider getting something else!
    Thank you heaps :)

4. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Anytime! Keep us posted! :)

5. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

Definitely a pair! And a beautiful one at that.

GBR's are substrate spawners, so they will be more likely to breed in the gravel/sand or on a rock in the substrate. They look mature enough to breed, so if your conditions are right, I would expect a spawn soon.

6. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

Mine lay on a flat piece of slate, they wont use a cave, mine are about to lay this will be there third spawn, the first two they ate so don't be surprised if they get eaten. Mine lay about every 14 days so far.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice