female fighter Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by macca1985, Apr 4, 2010.

1. m

macca1985 New Member Member

hi first off i knew i was taking a risk but i have had a 40L tank set up since january with 2 female fighters ,a male fighter and 4 guppies i have kept a close eye since day 1 theres been no aggression fin flaring or anything then last night i did a water change this morning i turn on the light theres 3 dead guppies (by the looks of them attacked) ,my fighter fins are in a awful state and the other female has a few nips in her tale ,i have separated the female im sure is the culprit shes in the same tank in a guppy breeder tank ,the other guppy had a big nip in his tale i have moved him into my mums tank.

now i would like to keep the female the only idea i can think is to move her to my big tank where the fish are bigger would this calm her down or could this cause more problems

also wot can i use to help the male as his fins are in a bad way hes swimming about ok but i dont want to risk infection

I cannot work out why it just happened like this the only thing i have done diffrent is i took the ornaments out the tank when i hoovered the gravel could this have started some pecking order thing or could it of been stress related from the water change?

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well the clear reason is, 3 bettas (fighters) in the same tank. It should never be done, not even breeders will put a male with 2 females, and the 4 guppies wouldnt have helped either.

Bettas are like that, yes they can 'seem' fine, but at one point they are likely to turn, which is why they should be kept alone

3. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Platy ben is right. Your bettas are the culprits.

Get a 10gal tank, divide it into three "apartments" and keep your bettas in there. That's pretty much the only solution.

Stress Coat and soaking his food in fresh garlic juice are the best things you can do for your male betta right now (as well as separating him out of the tank along with the other bettas). VitaChem is great too.

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I agree with bassbonedive and the Stress Coat+, Garlic juice (I use Garlic Gaurd) and Vita-Chem. Additionally, pristine water will also help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice